Project 10/22 precision with some range option

Mojoe

I have been wanting to do a .22 precision build for quite some time. I have had an out of the box, with and "ok" scope, as a plinker for 25 years. The reason I wanted to do a build based on precision shooting is because I love how overlooked the .22 is for effectiveness and some distance. It's not a 400 meter shooter. But, I plan to stretch the legs with this one and see if I can be on target. I understand anything over 150M; by the time it gets there, it's a bee sting. The bullet will be around 800FPS and it just drops off hard after that. It's more of a math problem for me and to work the fundamentals of shooting. Blah blah blah blah, talk about the gun already, ok.

This build fell in my lap and it not my work putting it together. I'm just the luck new owner, but it's what I would have pretty much done. I pick the glass, and do the shooting. Thanks all.

Ruger 10/22 stainless

Unknow bolt (I forget)

1 of 8 "special" Shilen bull barrels SS

Shilen competition 3 ounce trigger SS

Ruger walnut stock with a little bit of work done, just basic stuff

Extended bolt handle SS

Extended mag release SS

The glass:

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC Rimfire

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/111CDB74-02EF-448F-B271-D0A642F0C140-5261-0000039152E225A8_zpsf6c468d9.jpg

So I get it all put together and got out to sight it in. 50M is the zero, and that's all I was going to mess with for range and to get a feel for the gun. I will increase the distance when I have the time to. I have also been making note on how it responds with different ammo. I will share that info once I shoot it more with distance.

So I shoot and make my adjustments. I feel the zero is solid, so I test it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/6EF561C4-D033-4142-965E-062C0534E741-5261-0000039287414020_zps29e31fbc.jpg

That's 2 shots on target. The gun shots so easy and flawless, everything about it feels like I'm cheating.

After that, it was just fun to see what I could hit. Invisible fence came out and put up their survey flags in our yard. I said there's pretty much no way to shoot the metal post of the flag, but I'll give it a shot. First shot, dead on. 2 people from CR where at my house to see it. I mean it's like shooting a wire coat hanger. The gun just makes it too easy. I literally put the gun down and had to walk away. I'm beyond pleased with the new plinker. I look forward to updating this thread with more results as I can.

Thanks for reading.

Have you compared it to a stock 10/22 ? If not I have a unfired 10/22 takedown for volunteer work.

I have compared them. I also let the two CR members that were there compare them, because they are that drastic of a difference toshoot. I have my 10/22 that I grew up with and have been shooting it for 25 years. The scope on it is just a cheap one that is pretty accurate. I would say the Nikon and the 3-9 makes a huge differance on the new gun and provide the ability to do what I'm looking for past 50M.

I would take you on on shooting the take down. I have had my eye on them for quite some time, I just haven't pulled the trigger(pun intended). Besides, an unfire new gun is a shame. You could bring it out and shoot. It would be interesting to see a comparision.

I have compared them. I also let the two CR members that were there compare them, because they are that drastic of a difference toshoot. I have my 10/22 that I grew up with and have been shooting it for 25 years. The scope on it is just a cheap one that is pretty accurate. I would say the Nikon and the 3-9 makes a huge differance on the new gun and provide the ability to do what I'm looking for past 50M.

I would take you on on shooting the take down. I have had my eye on them for quite some time, I just haven't pulled the trigger(pun intended). Besides, an unfire new gun is a shame. You could bring it out and shoot. It would be interesting to see a comparision.

Let me know when is good for you.