2004 chevy suburban " brake" noise.

pontiacfreak142

I say " brake" bc I'm not exactly sure what it is. It sounded like metal on metal from the front brakes. I pulled the wheels, the pads still had 50% or so left to them, but the owner wanted them replaced sinced they were still the originals (doesn't get driven all that much). Theres no pulsating or anything so I just visually checked the rotors and they seem to be fine.

We just got back from driving it and the noise is still there. It only does it upon braking. Any ideas?

Hmmm... do the wheel bearings have any play in them? If it's metal on metal noise there should be some shiny spots on something somewhere. Kind of interesting, seems like you need to do some more detective work.

Yea the wheel bearings are going to be my next check. Although it does drive fine with no vibration when turning or anything.

I would say take the pads off make sure everything has fresh lube on it and then test drive again to make sure everything is working correctly and no stuck slide pins or anything weird

I blasted everything off with some brake clean and lubed the slide pins. I was thinking maybe the caliper, but everything seemed to move fine, and truck stops fine to, no pulling or anything

Does it have a sheet metal debris shield on the inboard side of the rotor? I have seen those rub the rotor before and cause a metallic noise.

Yes it does and I was thinking that to, but can that just happen on its own snd only make noise when braking?