e-85

DKilbourne

Thanks for the info. Around Delaware and Columbus it runs 78-80. The Kroger at Sancus & Polaris is usually 81-82.

Meijer only guarantees it to be higher than 70. Speedway guarantees it to be at least 57! :no:

I've been told the winter formulation drops even lower.

You must be missing the point. Mileage is worse on E-85, it has an octane rating around 105 and makes great race gas.

So e85 is 105 octane? Maybe I am missing the point. Regardless, I was curious as to the difference people are seeing. I've read online, but aside from your point, I was wondering. No biggie. I don't have a vehicle that runs e85.

My Scion FRS now has the Ecutek Flex Fuel system and so it runs on E85, gasoline, and any mix of the two. The car has a digital gauge for the % Ethanol content that the engine sensor reads. I've kept track of mileage and prices since the system was installed, and I get only two thirds of the mpg when I run E85 (which as I said above, has generally been only 80% ethanol instead of 85% ethanol). With the prices I've been paying, it works out to be slightly more expensive to run E85 than to run 93 octane gasoline. Of course, the car develops more horsepower and torque with E85. In my case, the power increase is about 20%.

In the Toledo fuel market, there is less price difference between 93 octane gas and E85. Therefore there's a larger financial disadvantage for using E85.

Where Dave (thread OP) buys it at the Speedway at Hall and Galloway, the prices would make the two fuels nearly the same in overall cost for me.

My Scion FRS now has the Ecutek Flex Fuel system and so it runs on E85, gasoline, and any mix of the two. The car has a digital gauge for the % Ethanol content that the engine sensor reads. I've kept track of mileage and prices since the system was installed, and I get only two thirds of the mpg when I run E85 (which as I said above, has generally been only 80% ethanol instead of 85% ethanol). With the prices I've been paying, it works out to be slightly more expensive to run E85 than to run 93 octane gasoline. Of course, the car develops more horsepower and torque with E85. In my case, the power increase is about 20%.

In the Toledo fuel market, there is less price difference between 93 octane gas and E85. Therefore there's a larger financial disadvantage for using E85.

Where Dave (thread OP) buys it at the Speedway at Hall and Galloway, the prices would make the two fuels nearly the same in overall cost for me.

Thanks for the info Doc. :)

How is it possible that the % of Ethanol varies this much? if 1 station has 85% shouldn't all the speedways be getting 85%? Is there really that big of a difference in how the Ethanol is produced?

That is a good question. Anyone on here work for or know anyone that works at a refinery? I feel like there was someone at one point who did, but can't remember.

Cool. I have one of those kits ready to go on with the blower.

How is it possible that the % of Ethanol varies this much? if 1 station has 85% shouldn't all the speedways be getting 85%? Is there really that big of a difference in how the Ethanol is produced?

It must depend on how/where it's mixed. With such variation the suppliers/shippers must be doing their own mixing.

I always assumed that it had mostly to do with how much they sell and how often the tank at the station gets refilled. It's not really a high moving fuel so it makes sense to me that some stations are mixing fresh into their winter blend. I wish I knew, if the ethanol content was more predictable I'd consider running it. Maybe when I go standalone in the Miata I'll incorporate an ethanol sensor, that car would benefit the most anyway.

Thanks for the info. Around Delaware and Columbus it runs 78-80. The Kroger at Sancus & Polaris is usually 81-82.

Meijer only guarantees it to be higher than 70. Speedway guarantees it to be at least 57! :no:

I've been told the winter formulation drops even lower.

I tested Meijer's on 23 about a month ago and it was e85 and I've tested the sancus kroger recently at 83ish

What kit do you and doc have? that sounds like a good idea.

It's a kit for EcuTEK. It can communicate the Ethanol content to the ECU and adjust the timing accordingly.

You can get just the bit that test the fuel. I think it's made by Zeitronix (?). But adjusting the tune on your car would need to be done manually.

It's a kit for EcuTEK. It can communicate the Ethanol content to the ECU and adjust the timing accordingly.

You can get just the bit that test the fuel. I think it's made by Zeitronix (?). But adjusting the tune on your car would need to be done manually.

There is a company that makes a kit to convert cars to flex fuel. I'm pretty sure Tephra has been playing with the idea if not finished it by now of making evo's flex fuel