MLB Playoffs

BStowers023

I know this thread won't attract many people, but as a pretty big sports fan, I figured this was thread worthy beings both Ohio teams are in.

Reds play tonight, I'm not sure I agree with Bakers decision to start Cueto due to his sustained injuries throughout the year and lack of innings pitched. I still think the Reds could do some damage if they can get past the first team. I think it all rests on the offense with the Reds, because their pitching staff, including starters and relievers are amongst the top of the NL and MLB.

Indians play the Rays tomorrow night. I'm intrigued by this because the Indians are coming off 10 straight wins, the largest win streak going into the playoffs since the year 1900. Although the Indians don't have the greatest lineup, or the best pitching staff, they found a way to get it done when it mattered most. That reflects directly on Francona and the rest of the coaching staff. They needed to win 10 straight to get in, and they won 10 straight. If they do get past the Rays tomorrow, they will be up against the 1 seeded Red Sox, Francona's old ball club. Should be interesting!

Any other thoughts on the playoffs? Predictions?

I think starting Cueto is 100% the right choice. His arm is FRESH and it shows in his last two outings. He is one of the biggest "gamers" on the team, and I think desperately wants to avenge what happened in his last playoff start. Beyond that, the Pirates can hit fastballs and curveballs, but struggle mightily against a good changeup... and Johnny has one of the best in MLB.

I do agree with the mild concern of his injuries... but it is a 1 and done, all hands on deck game. The Reds bullpen has proven all year that 7 scoreless innings are not out of reach if needed. I'm sure that is the whole reason Leake is on the wildcard game roster.

With that said - if the Reds don't get a few runs in the first few innings, allowing Liriano to settle in... things won't end well for us Redlegs fans.

Taking a half day at work tomorrow and got tickets to the wild card game. Think the Indians can get past the Rays' date=' not sure about the Red Sox but you never know. They have so much momentum right now.[/quote']

Hope they do good but beating AAA teams for a month shouldn't get you in the playoffs

Hope they do good but beating AAA teams for a month shouldn't get you in the playoffs

Haters gonna hate. Last time I checked, those "AAA" teams played 162 games as well, and they certainly weren't all against the Indians. Who do you like?

Go Tribe! The thing I hate is back in April I was buying tickets for $6 cause no one was a fan, now suddenly they are in the playoffs and tickets are $80 plus and everyone is hollering GO TRIBE!!! Playoff team with the 27th worst attendance, talk about fair weather fans

If you really think about it, it's Cleveland. The city can't sell out games because nobody in that stupid city has money lol. Ticket prices are obviously going to go up though for the playoffs...I mean, it is the playoffs.

I'm so iffy on Salazar pitching...I would have loved to see Jiminez on the mound tonight, but needing to pretty much win out to get in, we needed him in our last game. I guess if Salazar looks shaky like Cueto did early on, we can bring in Masterson who can easily pitch a solid 5 or 6 innings no problem given the circumstances. I hope the atmosphere is at least half of what it was in Pittsburgh last night. The Cueto chant was insane, and you could tell he was flustered. Haven't seen a baseball crowd impact a game like that ever.

(Pgh) I bleed black n gold / Pirates, Steelers, & Penguins. For the Pirate fans, 21 yrs is a long time until you finally make the playoffs! Don't know if they'll get past St Louis, we shall see, in any event they're definitely making it interesting - Go BUCS

As long as they have someone outside of Chris Perez close tonight I will be happy. I haven't been this excited about the Indians since the mid 90s when they was fielding an entire teams worth of Hall of Famers. There is just something about this group that leads me to believe they are capable of going far in the post season.

As long as they have someone outside of Chris Perez close tonight I will be happy. I haven't been this excited about the Indians since the mid 90s when they was fielding an entire teams worth of Hall of Famers. There is just something about this group that leads me to believe they are capable of going far in the post season.

I'm 99% sure Francona won't use Perez. That would literally be a devestating move in his part. That's a dusty baker move, and Francona > Baker