00 Trans Am sputtering/lurching the car

BrendanB

After fixing a clutch master cylinder issue last week, my car has started giving me more problems :fuuuu: It's been driving fine all week, under WOT and just taking me to and from class. Drove it a bit at WOT this afternoon, then I planned on taking it out to Sawmill tonight and it immediately started sputtering above 1500 RPM and would lurch the car with any bit more pedal pressure. Clueless as to what it could be; MAF or O2's maybe? The fuel pump was just replaced less than 2 months and 2k miles ago by IPS so I'm really hoping it's not a fuel pump issue...Any ideas as to what it could be, please let me know!

Check to see if the MAP sensor in the rear of the intake mani popped out. Mine would do that sometimes.. it's a bitch to reach though.

I'll check that out and see; Grant and I had the manifold off a few months ago so it would make sense it could've popped out

Check MAP and MAF, with it wanting to go with very little additional throttle it sounds like something TPS related, is the SES light on?

Yep SES is on, but it's been on ever since the car's had Magnaflow cats and throws consistent O2 codes. The Check Gages light came on though, and it's got a full tank of gas, I've never had that happen before...

Could very well have a dying alternator with the check gauges light on, which gauge read wrong? I'd be curious what codes are in it at this time.

Well the oil pressure gauge hasn't moved from 90 since Grant and I did the manifold a few months ago, but it hasn't thrown a code for that, since. Battery was right above the low reading last night, and it's been jumping all over the place lately until the car warms up then it sits at the usual 13 volts. Definitely not the battery itself, either, it's a 1 year old Optima yellow top.

Well the oil pressure gauge hasn't moved from 90 since Grant and I did the manifold a few months ago, but it hasn't thrown a code for that, since. Battery was right above the low reading last night, and it's been jumping all over the place lately until the car warms up then it sits at the usual 13 volts. Definitely not the battery itself, either, it's a 1 year old Optima yellow top.

Did you ever let the battery get drained? The Optima batteries can be a bitch if they get low on voltage and dont get charged properly, ask me how i know lol

Did you ever let the battery get drained? The Optima batteries can be a bitch if they get low on voltage and dont get charged properly, ask me how i know lol

That was a red top (starting battery), yellow tops are deep cycle and can withstand it a little better, they just need a trickle charge to 100% and they should still work or have a better chance.