Dragster

Richard Cranium

I debated on whether or not to make a project thread. Really this isn't much of a project car. All the work is pretty straight forward. I figured with the interest in the other thread though that people would want to see how this is different than the cars they are used to.

I took about 30 minutes during my lunch and removed the body so we'll have access to everything on the car.

So, the car does fire and runs pretty well considering the sit time and old fuel. One of the first things we noticed was the battery is struggling to hold any real charge and won't start the car on it's own. From the receipts I have it looks like the battery is 6 or 7 years old. With a 2+ year sit in the garage we're assuming it won't come back. So new battery is on order. Swapping out the battery is a nothing job with the body off.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq260/01fxst/Dragster/2013-10-23_14-49-27_820_zps5da3f423.jpg

The other thing we noticed was the voltage while the engine is running is only about 10 volts. So we'll be taking a look at the alternator next and verify whether it is working correctly.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq260/01fxst/Dragster/2013-10-23_14-55-44_70_zps8c0e66a9.jpg

Edited by Richard Cranium
Pics

What's up with the battery wiring, it looks like the positive and negative tie together at the metal thing on the frame.

That is the master on/off switch, the other thing is the charging jack for the battery (that way you don't have to take the body off between rounds).

wheres the alternator?

The alternator is the tiny bell shaped thing on the block. If you follow the belt from the crank pulley you'll see it. I did some reading on the Shogun alternators. They are really old-school technology and simple. No power wire, permanent magnets, brushless. They produce power from the first crank to the last. If you follow the wires downward, there is a small box there that the wires connect into, we're assuming that is the diode bridge because there is no space in that alternator for the bridge.

What's up with the battery wiring, it looks like the positive and negative tie together at the metal thing on the frame.

They don't tie together. The metal thing on the frame is the power on and off switch for the car. You can see a tube running from the switch down the tube rail toward the back of the car. That is the actuator for the switch. It's a T handle mounted between the rear tires so the safety crew can shut the car off in case of an emergency.