School me on LS motors

90G60

Since picking up the CTS-V I've been trying to research all of the different options that come with trying to modify these motors.

Over the winter I plan on getting new heads and cams. A buddy who knows more than I do, tells me I should find some CNC 243 heads from a big name like Tick or Texas Speed. I've been looking at some of the stuff at Advanced Induction, as the pricing seems a little more cost effective.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX/AiLSx232ccGMLS2Head.php

Today I noticed a few LS3 complete conversions for sale. While the seller describes this as a good solution, I'm being told that these heads have a history of blowing motors when tracked.

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/showthread.php/12179-TWO!!-COMPLETE-L92-LS3-Conversions

Really all I'm looking to do is add some street able cams and have heads that will maximize their potential. I haven't even begun to look at cam options. From what I can tell there are a few thousand to pick from, and then customer grinds on top of that.

The car will have occasional track/autocross duty and regular street duty. Any suggestion?

If you haven't already check out LS1tech.com

Lots of good info!

I'm there. Just tons of info to sort through. There isn't really a newb guide that I have found. Just a ton of people with a ton of knowledge and differing opinions.

The CTS-V should have 243 heads already. You can just take them off and work them out instad of buying another set of the same heads. Put a cam in it and you should be fine. Just a healthy cam will get you 390-400 RWHP. Port the heads and you can be in the 420-440 range. Look at some headers and better cat back. Anything above that you are looking in a fast 90/90 intake, AFR or Trick Flow heads etc.

I've been debating a Fast 90/90. Stock heads and cam, the fast isn't that great of a gain. Plus I'd rather have the lope. I'll probably end up with a new intake manifold around next summer.

I left out in my original post that I have no plans to stray from N/A within the next few years. My goals are to build the suspension and have the car tuned around 450whp.

I'd be looking into upgrading that rear diff. to either a built one or a newer model CTS-V diff. Those diff's in the early cts-v's and the GTO's were always the weak point esp when you start ramping up the power. (had an 04 gto w/ over 4xxwhp and blew stock diff.)

The 04-05's are the weakest. The 06-07 issues are less prevelant. Still can grenade them with wheel hop. I've been lucky and only experienced it once so far for a split second. I've already taken several preventative measures to help avoid both wheel hop and diff destruction.

I'm not naive though. I've got a built 8.8 lined up. Just need the conversion kit.

I'd get a mild cam, headers, and bolt-ons. For a CTS-V to cruise around in and have a little fun with, that would be my first choice. Or you can go a step further and pull your stock heads, send them to Advanced Inductions and buy one of their matched cams.

However there are lots of possiblities, and you'll get a million suggestions. Good luck.

I'd get a mild cam, headers, and bolt-ons. For a CTS-V to cruise around in and have a little fun with, that would be my first choice. Or you can go a step further and pull your stock heads, send them to Advanced Inductions and buy one of their matched cams.

However there are lots of possiblities, and you'll get a million suggestions. Good luck.

If it were mine, I'd go ported LS3 heads, Fast 92mm intake, Nick Williams throttle body, and a good cam from Texas Speed. If ur blowing a motor tracking the car, u might as well fire your tuner

These.

If it were mine, I'd go ported LS3 heads, Fast 92mm intake, Nick Williams throttle body, and a good cam from Texas Speed. If ur blowing a motor tracking the car, u might as well fire your tuner

Something about oil starvation issues. If you check out the 2nd link, that's the route I was planning to head before I heard about the potential problems.

Most cost effective is LS3/L92 heads. OEM cast flows better than most 243 CNC ports and cost about the same as sending yours in. This allows you to sell your 243s and finish the rest fairly cheap.

But if your stuck on 243s, AI is awesome. I put down 430awhp with a custom cam and there top tier 243s.

I've been reading about all of this for the past few hours. Think I'm going to try to find a complete set of OEM LS3/L92 heads with intake. Have them milled, the intake ported, and go cam shopping.

Thanks for all the input!

I recommend getting on the ctsv forums and see who everyone is using for the best track times. There is usually a small guy/company doing that specific car for far less money.

Example for the g8 being rick Crawford, porting intakes and heads, custom cams and tuning out of his garage, and killing the expensive names on the track.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input. Partially due to feedback from here I decided to go the LS3/L92 route. Picked up a Vengeance Racing ported intake manifold and fuel rail today. Heads and cams are next.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/mtwebb5/CTS-V/null_zps4c66f51e.jpg