06 R6 stopping

chrisknight

I don't know if I just don't have enough ass in my pants to put enough friction on the ground or what but I just feel like this thing doesn't stop like it should. I learned on a 1978 Suzuki GS750. That thing was heavy and when I hit the rear brakes, it stopped. My R6 seems like I either skid/lock up the back, or if I try to brake it just enough before it skids/locks up, it doesn't stop very fast.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

please tell me you are not trying to stop your bike by only using the rear brake...

hahaha...

No, I use both at the same time. I usually apply even pressure to the rear and front at various pressures as needed.

I just feel like the R6 is easy to skid. ...and I expected the 06 R6 to stop better than a 1978 Suzuki. It doesn't.

The pads are good. Cheap stockers though. I bought the bike with 6 miles on it at the end of 06.

Weight transfer and what not basically makes the rear brake virtually useless under hard braking.

I agree, I suppose. Maybe its because that old Suzuki was so heavy...

Like I said, I don't have enough ass in my pants to put pressure on the rear/ground. I sit forward too, I'm short as hell...

you aren't going to "nosie" if thats what you are afraid of, and if you do you'll have plenty of time to react.

I wouldn't say that you would have plenty of time to react if that happend. Last time I had a car pull out in front of me and pulled the fronts hard, ass end was way up in no time. I felt lucky that I naturally reacted to let off the brakes even tho there was still a car in front of me.

Just ride on a nice empty road and practice with those fronts progressively giving them more and more.

I wouldn't say that you would have plenty of time to react if that happend. Last time I had a car pull out in front of me and pulled the fronts hard, ass end was way up in no time. I felt lucky that I naturally reacted to let off the brakes even tho there was still a car in front of me.

Just ride on a nice empty road and practice with those fronts progressively giving them more and more.

edited it.

So what if you've been on a bike for the past 14 years. Sounds like you have been riding improperly the entire time if you haven't gained any confidence in the front. Your tech. is lacking. Go take the MSF or something cause you need to learn to use the front brake properly.

true story the msf class will teach you something i dont care if you have been riding for 50 years.......

i get my 04 to feel like it's locked quite a bit under hard breaking on the rear, especially after i put some fresh galfer GG pads on. check your front pad wear and consider bleeding your front lines to get more front stopping power. if you've never done it in the 2 years you've had it yet, it's time to bleed.

i get my 04 to feel like it's locked quite a bit under hard breaking, especially after i put some fresh galfer GG pads on. check your front pad wear and consider bleeding your front lines to get more front stopping power. if you've never done it in the 2 years you've had it yet, it's time to bleed.

really?:postwhore:

really?:postwhore:

140 posts since Feb 09

2,164 posts since Jan 09

really? :grin: especially since your response was "it's a yamaha... my bike needs new pads, my bike stops well... oh yeah i gave you no advice." dont be a dick.

Edited by smashweights

Every bike is different, but I think you've pointed it out already. The bike is designed for a average 180 pound rider, and not one sitting forward either. That will effect the rear braking. It should work better with a heavier rider, or with the addition of a passenger.

You can check the rear rotor and make sure it's got a good surface on it. As in not rusty or stuff on it. Like rust, wax, grease, chain lube, etc. Maybe clean it with something proper and see if it helps. The R6 service manual does not say what or how to clean the disc rotor. The owner's manual, however, says to "...clean the brake discs and brake linings with a regular brake disc cleaner or acetone,...".

Do not soak your skin with acetone or brake cleaner, nor breath acetone fumes. Use it with adequate ventilation.

There is a thing where gunk builds up behind the piston, and it will drag, or slowly lock the piston to the rotor. But I wouldn't expect it on a newer bike.

There aren't many reasons why a rear would lock easy, I guess I'm a bit stumped. I've seen it with drum rear brakes, but not disc.

I'd rather not get into the front or rear or both brake argument. It's a brake, learn to use it for what it's worth. And it's worth a lot, or it wouldn't be there.

I just feel like this thing doesn't stop like it should....My R6 seems like I either skid/lock up the back, or if I try to brake it just enough before it skids/locks up, it doesn't stop very fast.

...so you do realize if you lock up your rear brake that you have completely stopped your rear tire from moving? (In other words your rear brake is working like it's supposed to on your sport bike, but you're going to run into problems because you have less control when your front tire continues to spin while your rear tire has stopped.)

If the tires on your sport bike have came to optimal temperature and you grab a hand full of front break...you'll flip the bike over before you lock the front wheel (this also depends on the street surface.)

When you combine those two scenarios for a sport bike, your max stopping power will be right before your rear tire lifts off the ground (by using the front break) and your rear tire starts to lock (by using the rear break).

....now you have to find out where that is depending on your breaking system, tires, suspension, road surface, temperature and your weight....I'll give you a head start, it's definitely more front break than rear. :D

0704_sbkp_06_z%2B2007_yamaha_r1%2Bstoppie.jpg

So what if you've been on a bike for the past 14 years. Sounds like you have been riding improperly the entire time if you haven't gained any confidence in the front. Your tech. is lacking. Go take the MSF or something cause you need to learn to use the front brake properly.

You & natedogg624 talk like I don't use my fronts. I use the fronts more than the rear. I'm talking about the rear breaks being almost useless on that bike if you've got some speed going. Probably due to my size/positioning. I'd say I'm 65%-70% (as needed) in front now. I'll try 95%, that's going to feel weird...