Swapping Audi V8 into my A4

slowyota

Needs a snail to go with that motor.

fitting this motor in the smaller chassis is a very tight fit, unless i completely cut it up, there is no way to stuff a turbo under the hood, maybe a remote mounted one, but eh, not worried about it, i have my turbo integra and stroker Mr2 if i wanna go really fast..

i think 350 ish hp, awd and under 3000 lbs will be fun enough, and with P/S, A/C and cruise

Edited by slowyota

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fitting this motor in the smaller chassis is a very tight fit, unless i completely cut it up, there is no way to stuff a turbo under the hood, maybe a remote mounted one, but eh, not worried about it, i have my turbo integra and stroker Mr2 if i wanna go really fast..

i think 350 ish hp, awd and under 3000 lbs will be fun enough, and with P/S, A/C and cruise

An Audi A4 weighs under 3000 pounds? I find that hard to believe.

Cool swap anyways.

That engine sounds awesome! Is it a really short stroke? What's the difference between that engine and the RS8 or whatever that crazy mid engined thing is called.

You are right- 310 hp is a big jump and with awd, a lighter car, and a manual transmission it should be a lot of fun.

With that torque it would be a great off road rally car??? Audi Quattros are good at that no?

Subscribing!

That engine sounds awesome! Is it a really short stroke? What's the difference between that engine and the RS8 or whatever that crazy mid engined thing is called.

You are right- 310 hp is a big jump and with awd, a lighter car, and a manual transmission it should be a lot of fun.

With that torque it would be a great off road rally car??? Audi Quattros are good at that no?

Subscribing!

The older ones were. Most of the modern Audis you see on the road are pigs. It would take one hell of a suspension to get a b5-current audi to do well off the tarmac.

The V8 found in the R8 and RS4 is the 4.2 FSI, a lot more revvy. This is the 40v, back when Audi was still doing 5 valves per cylinder (Y U NO LONGER DO THAT?!). Audi engines are typically always undersquare.

Quick google search says ~ 3400... Guessing 3500-3600 with the V8 maybe unless you tackle weight reduction. Love the sound though, it is worth it for that!

Yeah a quattro manual 1.8t is between mid 3200-3300lbs usually.

2.8 probably closer to 3400-3500.

Going with the 4.2 it will probably be every bit of high 3300-3400 I'd bet.

the 1.8t weights ~275 lbs, the V8 weighs in at ~350 lbs, so not a huge difference- iron block 4 cyl compared to all alum v8 with magnisium intake manifold and valve covers, plus i lose all turbo components- front mount, piping etc. Also, Audi rates the curb weight of my 1.8t a4 @ 3241 lbs.

The V8 found in the R8 and RS4 is the 4.2 FSI, a lot more revvy. This is the 40v, back when Audi was still doing 5 valves per cylinder (Y U NO LONGER DO THAT?!). Audi engines are typically always undersquare.

exactly, mine is the belt driven motor- rev limiter @ 7200, where the newer chain motor (other differences as well) limiter around 8250 in a RS4 at least

They stopped the 5 valve because a 4 valve flows just as well if not better without the added cost or extra pumping losses, same reason Ferrari and others stopped 5v technology.

exactly, mine is the belt driven motor- rev limiter @ 7200, where the newer chain motor (other differences as well) limiter around 8250 in a RS4 at least

They stopped the 5 valve because a 4 valve flows just as well if not better without the added cost or extra pumping losses, same reason Ferrari and others stopped 5v technology.

Main reason was Direct Injection, can't have both.

Ferrari V8's went to DI as well.

Very nice, I like the idea but you could have bought a b6 S4 and been done? Just sayin.

well the newer 4.2 has too many issues- chain/tensioner failures, oil consumption issues from cylinder walls and precat failures..the older 4.2 is tried and true, once you fix all the oil leaks haha

and plus its something different, the 4.2 never came in a B5 chassis