2015 Chebby Colorado......DIESEL

CRed05

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/450x299x2015-Chevrolet-ColoradoZ71-003-450x299.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Ii5XKmXOmo.jpg

Later on, a 2.8L diesel 4-cylinder will be available. Final power figures aren’t available, but in Thai-spec, the engine puts out 200 horsepower and 368 lb-ft. All engines are backed by a 6-speed automatic.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/11/los-angeles-2013-chevrolet-colorado-revealed-with-diesel-power/

:megusta:

It just boggles the mind that the automakers would not have a small truck in diesel, that gets 30 MPG here in the states. I mean, they got rid of the Ranger here in the states, but you look at it over in the UK and it is awesome!

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Ranger/Performanceandefficiency

"For example, the150PS/110kW 2.2-litre 4 cylinder engine delivers up to 375 Nm of torque and a frugal fuel economy figure of 35.3mpg (combined cycle). While the 200PS 3.2 litre TDCi (diesel) offers up to 470Nm of torque."

It just boggles the mind that the automakers would not have a small truck in diesel, that gets 30 MPG here in the states. I mean, they got rid of the Ranger here in the states, but you look at it over in the UK and it is awesome!

"For example, the150PS/110kW 2.2-litre 4 cylinder engine delivers up to 375 Nm of torque and a frugal fuel economy figure of 35.3mpg (combined cycle). While the 200PS 3.2 litre TDCi (diesel) offers up to 470Nm of torque."

That is 147 HP and 276 ft lbs of torque for us american folk.

It just boggles the mind that the automakers would not have a small truck in diesel, that gets 30 MPG here in the states.

Thank your government and it's dumb ass laws.

It's the same reason why I'm driving a gasoline LR3 that gets 12mpg, and not a diesel one that gets in the 30s like the rest of the world. Or the same reason why I'm not driving an Audi diesel that has quattro. Stupid laws and regulations that require automakers to make modifications to their cars to sell in the US, which end up being too costly and not even worth it for them to bring it over here.

Isn't that in imperial gallons, not US?

We've been hearing this from all the truck makers for what, a decade now? I'll believe it when I see it.

Bingo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

This is why they never do it. 25% tariff would make it pointless.

The "Thai spec" comment makes me worried that the Colorado diesel won't make it here either.

Thank your government and it's dumb ass laws.

It's the same reason why I'm driving a gasoline LR3 that gets 12mpg, and not a diesel one that gets in the 30s like the rest of the world. Or the same reason why I'm not driving an Audi diesel that has quattro. Stupid laws and regulations that require automakers to make modifications to their cars to sell in the US, which end up being too costly and not even worth it for them to bring it over here.

riddle me this, how has Volkswagen been selling TDIs in the states for decades?

They happen to meet US emissions laws and are still cost effective enough for VW to sell them here? Having a factory in Tennessee and Mexico helps I'm sure.

See Audi for example, now has TDi's here, but they aren't quattros. The Audi CEO once explained that they couldn't bring over the quattro version of the A3 TDI because if the car were to go up a hill at a certain angle, the car doesn't pass US emission requirements. Sure they could add another catalytic converter or two on each car, raising the price on a car that is not in very high demand here to begin with. They do the number crunching and it just doesn't pay off for them.

VW is a primary reason for the lack of diesels from other manufacturers. VW almost has a monopoly on the diesel market in the U.S. so the cost/benefit for other manufacturers makes it a very risky move. No executive wants to be responsible for thousands of unsold cars with millions of dollars of R&D behind them because they couldn't get their foot in the door.

FIAT is also a worldwide leader in diesel motors (they own VM Motori), and I can say with absolute certainty that if FIAT had a diesel 500, it'd probably account for < 1% of our sales. I probably get asked if FIAT will offer a diesel in any model in the future maybe 3 times a year.

Furthermore, the price of diesel in the U.S. makes it so that while diesel cars can carry a premium (as VW does) it has to be high enough to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer to produce it but low enough for consumers to actually buy it. VW's market share is large enough that the premium is lower than it'd be for other manufacturers.

Isn't Dodge supposed to come out with a 1500 Ram that has the same 3.0L VMM diesel that's in the new Grand Cherokees, as well?

Yes, that's going to be offered on the 2015 Ram pickups if I remember correctly. Same engine in the Fiat van they brought over here, too, I believe

Diesel might be a 2014 option on the Ram half-ton trucks, not for sure that you'll have to wait until '15. It's all set in stone though, for sure coming to market.

Also, TDI engines are already pretty popular swaps in the offroad buggy/jeep world, as are 4 cylinder cummins swaps (the 4BT). The fact that 4BTswaps.com exists and is very active should be testament to how popular small diesel engines are in the U.S.

For those who don't know, the 4BT is 3.9L 4 cylinder version of the 6BT 5.9L inline 6 cummins, basically two cylinders cut off. Great motors for sure.

Yes, they are:

A6, A7, A8, Q7, Q5.

All 3.0TDi quattro, but no manual option.

Forgot about the SUV's. When did they start doing the A6, 7 & 8? Must be fairly recently. But all those are the higher end cars too, where cost isn't as much of an issue I'd imagine.

Forgot about the SUV's. When did they start doing the A6, 7 & 8? Must be fairly recently. But all those are the higher end cars too, where cost isn't as much of an issue I'd imagine.

Yup, fresh for '14 I believe.

I took an A6 TDI for a spin. Plenty of power on tap, but it's such a big heavy, soft car that It wasn't as much fun as the Passat 6MT believe it or not.

I'm sure I'll miss it come snow time though...:fuuuu:

Isn't Dodge supposed to come out with a 1500 Ram that has the same 3.0L VMM diesel that's in the new Grand Cherokees, as well?

Yes, I think they're slated to hit dealers in Jan, last I heard.

The RAM is a V6 diesel, the Nissan is a V8 Cummins that was supposed to go into the RAM, but got canned and Nissan picked it up. (At least that's what the stories on the internet say) The Nissan has more power, the RAM gets better fuel economy.