Looking to get into Sporting Clays

justmyluck

Anyone shoot clay's? (Trap, Skeet, etc.)

I went a couple times before it got cold... and now I am hooked, so I am looking to get a good starter gun . I have shot both an over-under (dont know what brand), and a good old Remington 870.

Do I go with the cheep off-brand over-under to practice with? The trusty 870? Or does someone have a good recommendation?

I've had good luck with an 870. If you think you are going to get serious about it just go ahead and get a nice semi auto.

12 gauge makes it easier, for what it's worth.

This. My brother picked up a NICE used Mossberg 930 for less than a new 870. While I have recently (last year or so) gotten off my kick with the Moss 500 and became a much bigger fan of the 870, the Moss 930 is NOICE to shoot clays with.

If you're going to get into it than spend the money on a decent semi auto. I got my CZ 912 for 420 or some price close to that used. I'm happy with it but if I were to do it over again I'd have spent a little more and got a Beretta 390 with wood furniture just because I like the way it feels just a tad bit more. I'll be getting a SA 20ga for practice before I upgrade the 912 though.

If you buy a pump you will end up selling it to fund a semi auto.

Here is my thread from a few months back on this topic.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114269&highlight=semi+auto

For trap I'd lean towards a heavier gun, built specifically for trap, O/U, 12 gauge.

For sporting clays I think you'll find a lighter, shorter 20 gauge more to your liking.

I agree that if you get into these sports you'll quickly abandon the pump. However, you can use any type of shotgun to shoot any of these sports .... mostly it's a matter of whether you want to start with optimal equipment or whether you want to start inexpensive and trade up as you become more specialized in what you shoot.

If you need to tryout a gun that your range doesn't have as a loaner, I've got a variety you can borrow: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1514589&postcount=13

My grandfather just picked up one of these.http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/sa_08

Well I actually ordered it for him off gun broker.com. Hopefully I will be breaking it in soon. He is 90 years old but his passion for guns is still strong. Remington 1100's another one to choose from. I never liked a pump shotgun for clays.

Thanks for the advice, and wow, that RBL Reserve is beautiful!

I think what I am going to do first is check out the used market for a O/U 12ga. If I dont find anything I like there, I think the 870 or a moss 930 will be where I end up.

I will post up some pics of whatever I end up with

Make sure you got the barrel you want on it as well, the wrong and too short barrel and you won't have the pattern and range you need to hit the longer shots. I got an 18" barrel 870HD and it spreads so much you can only hit to about 15 yards really effectively. beyond that and you get a single BB hole in an unbroken clay lol.

Make sure you got the barrel you want on it as well, the wrong and too short barrel and you won't have the pattern and range you need to hit the longer shots. I got an 18" barrel 870HD and it spreads so much you can only hit to about 15 yards really effectively. beyond that and you get a single BB hole in an unbroken clay lol.

I knew the coke made a difference, but I didn't realize how drastic it could be. Thanks for making me read about it more lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(firearms)