2003 chevy express van,fan/blower motor

BrianZ06

The heater/ac fan blower motor runs on high only and it stays running with the van turned off. I have never had one stay running. On my nissan altima I replaced the fan speed resistor because it was doing the same thing but it was not running with the engine off. I am thinking the same part is bad on my van but never seen one that stayed running with the engine turned off. Any ever have one do this ?

does it continue to run when you unplug the speed resister?

It shouldn't run at all, power comes out of the resistor right next to the motor. I'd start by checking the wires to the resistor and make sure voltage moves to each wire when the speed control is switched. Sure seems like the speed switch is shorted in the control head.

Scott are you familiar with this >

Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the Ignition Off

Models:

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 ChevroletSilverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra

Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42

Condition

On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings

- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle

- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

Scott are you familiar with this >

Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the Ignition Off

Models:

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 ChevroletSilverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra

Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42

Condition

On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings

- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle

- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

Yeah, and its possible, but it usually doesn't cause it to stay on after the car shuts off. Typically it only stops working on low speeds. The harness and/or resistor is usually melted or burned.