bad alternator?

russian rocket

hey guys, i have an 05 evo and am having weird alternator problems, maybe one of you guys has experienced it before.

started yesterday, while driving my voltage kept dropping to 11.5 then back up to high 13s 14s. it was sporadic. there were sometime long intervals of when it would drop into the 11s and stay there. today when i go to leave work, my voltage was in the 11s and never went up to 14s. luckily i only live about 10 miles from my work and was able to get home before draining the battery completely. sitting in my driveway, i decided to put it on the factory 2 step and bam, the alternator kicks back in and starts charging again at 14 volts. now last thing, when the car is idling in the low rpms, the voltage out put is in the 12s, but giving it a little gas brings it back up to the 14s. i monitored all the voltage from my hks turbo timer, i confirmed idle voltage at the alternator. is it safe to assume that the alternator or at least the voltage regulator inside the alternator is done for and is just playing mind games with me at this point? btw the alternator is an NSA alternator.

First things first, put a good charge on your battery and test it first. A junk battery can play tricks on a charging system.

What he said.

We chased a similar problem in the race car last season - bad battery gave us very similar alternator voltage readings to what you mentioned.

That's not long enough. Take it out and take it somewhere to get charged and tested.

yea, i thought it would be long enough but its still charging lol. the trinkle charger is designed for atvs and is charging at 13v i guess ill leave it on there for a couple days, im not in a big hurry because i dont feel like making room in my garage and i dont feel like wrenching on it in the snow lol

• 4 weeks later...