Question on Tethering with AT&T

TTQ B4U

I'm on AT&T with a Galaxy Note 3. I'm not rooted, just stock Android 4.3 with Nova Launcher...nothing big.

Tonight I installed Hot Spot Toggle Pro and am able to "spoof" the phone into allowing my hot spot to activate. Works great.

That said, I won't use it for much other than pulling down email or light surfing on my iPad when on the road. No watching movies or anything that is going to pull down tons of data.

Is the above something AT&T will catch onto and drop me a warning text or something about or are they primarily picking up on larger data users that are tethering devices?

I'm hoping I can pull this off and not have to carry my mifi with me.

when i had at&t a few years ago, I tethered and was fine.

switched to verizon and since they use certain gov restricted airways you are legal allowed to tether.

at&t i hear now is able to detect if you are tethering by the internet browser you are using.

not sure if they will say anything though if you don't use much data.

They caught me tethering with my old iphone a few years back, they threatened to change my umlimited plan to a tiered plan+tethering. What plan are you on? If you're grandfathered into their unlimited data, then they'll send you a text and email. If you're on a tiered data plan they likely won't care.

They caught me tethering with my old iphone a few years back, they threatened to change my umlimited plan to a tiered plan+tethering. What plan are you on? If you're grandfathered into their unlimited data, then they'll send you a text and email. If you're on a tiered data plan they likely won't care.

I'm grandfathered on unlimited data but haven't used over 4gb. Usually less than 2gb but this month I might go up as I've been installing a lot of apps, including downloading maps for Navi's.

If you're not hammering it you'll probably not be noticed.

That's what I'm figuring and in a way counting on.

AT&T I hear now is able to detect if you are tethering by the internet browser you are using.
interesting. I use firefox on PC, iPad and Phone.

True or not, I am reading up.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/09/how-att-detects-unofficial-tethering/

ATT LOVES to catch you tethering with a grandfathered plan just so you can lose it with no way to get it back. I tethered for a while with small amounts and they sent me a msg stating that I would lose my grandfathered unlimited and get a new plan if it continued. Talked to a lady and she said its a big thing with them and they tend to go after anyone who does it. So consider yourself warned lol.