Dress Shoes

87GT

I thought there was a thread already on this. I searched and couldn't find one by keywords. Anyway lets talk about dress shoes. I have a few hundred after the holidays to spend on shoes. Work dress code is business casual. I always wear a button up shirt or polo, dress pants, and slip on black leather dress shoes. My current ones are shot and I am looking for ideas. I need something that is comfortable all day. I usually go somewhere after work and I don't change my clothes. I don't want faux leather on the outside. What is everyone else wearing ?

Shoes

They're cheap, won't impress people who really know what they're looking at, and you aren't looking for this answer, but I bought a pair of these about 5 years ago and still rock them. :lol:

Those are Faux leather and will fall apart quickly with daily use. Not what I am looking for.

Bostonian Captoes. A black pair and an oxblood pair. They wear well, are very comfortable, and are textured, so that you don't HAVE to polish the shit out of them to make them look good.

Have you tried the Corben? Those look almost exactly like my current shoes.

I get all my shoes at Allen Edmonds outlet in Jeffersonville. $90-$150 for a purr of shoes that would last you your lifetime, and wear like slippers.

Once they wear out, you can resole/reheel them for $30-$40, or send them back directly to Allen Edmonds in WI for $95 to have them totally redone.

I get all my shoes at Allen Edmonds outlet in Jeffersonville. $90-$150 for a purr of shoes that would last you your lifetime, and wear like slippers.

Once they wear out, you can resole/reheel them for $30-$40, or send them back directly to Allen Edmonds in WI for $95 to have them totally redone.

This. Allen Edmonds ftw.

Johnston and Murphy. Id go to the Jeffersonville Outlet as you will get them for a serious discount. Amazing quality, 100% leather, can be had for $80-400 per pair. They are all I wear to work now.

I just had a pair resoled after 4 years for $64 and couldn't be happier.

-Marc

Johnston and Murphy

J+M's suck harder than Marc; made overseas and have questionable quality. AE's are made in the USA (Wisconsin) and kewl peeps wear dem.

I had one purr I bought in early 2000s and I was shocked at how much better all 6 purr of my AE's feel...

I've always had J&M but I'm looking to switch after I spent a little more to get what I thought was a nicer shoe, but they're falling apart.

I'll be considering AE for my next pair.

More importantly than whatever shoes you buy are to make sure you have a GOOD shoe polishing kit. Whether you prefer cream or wax polish, make sure you have a good horsehair shine brush and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I can make a $35 pair of shoes look better than an unkempt $500 pair with a little elbow grease.

I wear Steve Madden right now (a couple pairs from shopping carefully). With regular upkeep they look new for years. It's all in the heels. If you're quiet or insignificant sounding you're in too cheap a shoe. Edited by Miller

Whatever you go with it's not a bad idea to get two pair and switch between them daily to keep them in good shape.

This is good advice, and having cedar shoe trees to store your shoes when you aren't wearing them will help to keep their shape and condition.

I used to recommend J&M but will not. I will recommend Bjorn as a lower priced, very comfortable shoe. The advice given in this thread supersedes anything else I could add. :)