Winter time

XChris1632X

WTF is it about this year that gets my blood flowing to buy guns? Am I the only one? All spring and summer I can go with little urge to buy more but all I want to do is buy another gun. My biggest problem is trying to decide what gun I want to buy next.

Anyone have any future purchases they would care to disclose?

As for myself, I don't own a 1911. I think it is part of my duty as a true American to look into buying one shortly. Lately, I have even been looking at the armscor brand for an entry level. It is either that or something that is $1200-1400. Saiga 12's have really caught my eye lately and I really feel like one is in my future.

I've got a Rock Island (Armscor) Tactical 1911 chambered in .45. It's my second one, sold my original GI model to upgrade to this. I loved my GI but the sites sucked and it was cheaper to sell it and buy the Tactical than it would have been to have the slide cut and new sites installed.

To me, I'm either getting a cheap 1911 that is functional, or an expensive one to show off at the range. I don't really see the point of something in between. Rock Island has been great to me. I'd suggest calling Gun Envy and seeing what they have in stock. If they don't have any Tacticals then you can order from Sarco or Bud's Gun Shop and have it shipped to your FFL of choice. Bud's had them dirt cheap for black friday.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting an RIA 1911 in 9mm next just to try to stick with one caliber for the range, I just picked up an M&P FS 9mm and already have a Shield 9mm. They are also trying to push a new caliber they came up with, I believe it's .22 TCM. They have models that have barrels for 9mm and that .22 which might be worth looking into.

Edit - I was correct, .22 TCM is a shortened .223 round that fits in standard 9mm mags. Sounds fun, but expensive and hard to find. More info on RIA and the .22 TCM here: http://www.shotgunnews.com/2013/01/09/smallbore-slabsides-rock-island-armory-22-tcm-review/

I've got a Rock Island (Armscor) Tactical 1911 chambered in .45. It's my second one, sold my original GI model to upgrade to this. I loved my GI but the sites sucked and it was cheaper to sell it and buy the Tactical than it would have been to have the slide cut and new sites installed.

To me, I'm either getting a cheap 1911 that is functional, or an expensive one to show off at the range. I don't really see the point of something in between. Rock Island has been great to me. I'd suggest calling Gun Envy and seeing what they have in stock. If they don't have any Tacticals then you can order from Sarco or Bud's Gun Shop and have it shipped to your FFL of choice. Bud's had them dirt cheap for black friday.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting an RIA 1911 in 9mm next just to try to stick with one caliber for the range, I just picked up an M&P FS 9mm and already have a Shield 9mm. They are also trying to push a new caliber they came up with, I believe it's .22 TCM. They have models that have barrels for 9mm and that .22 which might be worth looking into.

Edit - I was correct, .22 TCM is a shortened .223 round that fits in standard 9mm mags. Sounds fun, but expensive and hard to find. More info on RIA and the .22 TCM here: http://www.shotgunnews.com/2013/01/09/smallbore-slabsides-rock-island-armory-22-tcm-review/

ok, I'm convinced, I want one! How much are they locally? I saw MSRP on the listing, but was hoping they would be cheaper locally.

I have the urge to buy guns all year round. :) I suppose not being able to go to the range as often in the Winter probably makes me more inclined to buy in the Winter, though.

You should take up the hobby of re-loading ammo in the Winter time. It might take your mind off purchasing and save you some money come Spring when you shoot more.

As far as 1911 pistols, have you ever considered the Ithaca 1911? I know it's pricey, but it's made right here in Ohio. They're pretty nice.

Ammo is out there and has been more available than most common calibers.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/22tcm/

I have been following the TCM .22 since 2011 when I read about it being the only competition to the FN 5.7, in terms of small caliber handgun with 2000+ FPS. Another great thing is the price and what you get. For less than $700, you get the 9mm and the .22 barrel with this gun. I was also put off by the uniqueness of the rounds, thinking it would be hard to find in the future. Buying this gun would be a $1500 investment to me. $700 on the gun and another $800 in ammo stock.

The TRP is hard to beat for a middle of the price 1911. The checkered front and rear straps and Tritium 3-dot night sights were a big bonus for me and Springfield Armory's service/warranty is pretty good also. This is my 4th Springfield 1911. The only thing I did not like on this one was the two piece guide rod which I changed out for a Wilson one piece.