SBC headers

Otis Nice

As stated in my WTB thread, I'm looking to get new headers or manifolds and a new exhaust. I'm looking at a few used options and have looked on CL, but most good sets are $100 used. Even the junk yards want $35 per manifold. For a little more I'm thinking of these three new. Any reason I shouldn't get any certain set? Which would CR Cheby gurus recommend? I haven't done nearly as much as most of you gear heads have under the hood (save the puns fellas, lol) and appreciate any help.

Flowtech 11506

Flowtech 11500

JEGS Performance Products 30057

If it was me and I didn't have much done or plan to I'd stick with stock manifolds. Maybe things have changed over the year but cheap headers use to be bad with sealing up. A known hack of a remedy was to cut the flanges so they're independent instead of the long mounting surface. that, or double up gaskets.

If it was me and I didn't have much done or plan to I'd stick with stock manifolds. Maybe things have changed over the year but cheap headers use to be bad with sealing up. A known hack of a remedy was to cut the flanges so they're independent instead of the long mounting surface. that, or double up gaskets.

Thanks. That's good to know. So something more like these would be a better option? Really more than I'm wanting to spend.

Maybe I'll just get the junk yard set.

EDIT: Or these?

I would get these and repaint with good high-temp paint.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9006

And no matter what you decide, I would suggest these Percys header gaskets.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-66120

Thanks. I don't want to have to repaint them though. You think these are fine for a truck that's driven only in bad weather or when something needs hauled?

I really like this idea. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket too.

Thanks. I don't want to have to repaint them though. You think these are fine for a truck that's driven only in bad weather or when something needs hauled?

I really like this idea. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket too.

They'll be great for what you're using it for. But the paint that comes on them is for rust prevention during shipping and storage, it will burn off after about 20mins of run time.

Ah, crap. What all is involved in repainting them? Can I hit them quickly/easily or should I take it to someone that knows what they're doing? lol

Really was hoping I could just slap these on and go.

EDIT: Just read this about them as well: "they're made for off-road and racing use only."

EDIT: Just read this about them as well: "they're made for off-road and racing use only."

Because long-tube's won't pass emissions when required. They are designed to eliminate catalytic convertors which is also illegal in a few states, not sure about the age of you vehicle and if it is "required" to have a cat.

Painting them is super simple. Put some tape over the entire flange so you have a clean mating surface and so no paint get's down into the primaries, then go get some VHT paint in your choice of color that is rated for exhaust temps at AutoZone, Advance, NAPA, etc. and start throwing on a few coats. It's easy to do in your garage. Just grab a metal coat hangar, bend it to your liking so you can put it through a bolt hole, and hang it from the garage door rail. It will not only make them look better, but it will help in keeping them rust-free for years to come :thumbup:

Just my $.02.

Because long-tube's won't pass emissions when required. They are designed to eliminate catalytic convertors which is also illegal in a few states, not sure about the age of you vehicle and if it is "required" to have a cat.

Painting them is super simple. Put some tape over the entire flange so you have a clean mating surface and so no paint get's down into the primaries, then go get some VHT paint in your choice of color that is rated for exhaust temps at AutoZone, Advance, NAPA, etc. and start throwing on a few coats. It's easy to do in your garage. Just grab a metal coat hangar, bend it to your liking so you can put it through a bolt hole, and hang it from the garage door rail. It will not only make them look better, but it will help in keeping them rust-free for years to come :thumbup:

Just my $.02.

Grant is spot on.

I usually hang mine on a shepards hook and paint away. Personally I've had better luck with BBQ grill paint than VHT though.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll go ahead and order these and get to painting them soon as they come in. Truly appreciate all of the knowledge and help. Currently the truck has headers, straight duals with glass packs, and a TON of rust. No cats. I'm going to try and get these headers, new pipes and some decent mufflers at the local shop. Maybe I'll order mufflers too. Don't know what I want though. Something quiet as possible.

I might paint them purple or pink. Can I get grill paint or VHT in those colors? :lol:

Seriously though...I might.

Summit is saying an alternator bracket is required with those headers. Can anyone elaborate for me?

just a guess, but maybe one of your manifold bolts is a stud that also doubles as a mounting point for the alternator bracket?

just a guess, but maybe one of your manifold bolts is a stud that also doubles as a mounting point for the alternator bracket?

Hmmm...makes sense. $13. I'll get it.

Need to pop the hood and check...when it's not "white death/ice from antarctica we're all gonna die" weather.

Was finally able to order these. Been crazy these last few weeks. Probably going to install them myself. We'll see what happens when they come in. Baby is due soon so I don't know what my time will be like.

Thanks again all for the great advice.

EDIT: I can't find a high temp pink anywhere. :( Deciding between Chevy Orange and Plum Purple. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Otis Nice