Insurance question related to an accident

justinwebb

So the GF swerved to miss an overturned truck on 670 today and put the car into a guard rail, which IMO is the best outcome really. Now the car is not in awful shape but the front bumper cover is gone, headlights all broke and the quarters are bent but no fluids leaking. SHe called the insurance company but with the mileage it has (207,XXX) my guess is they will total it.

This is not something she wants as the car runs fine and her deceased father gave it to her so she wants to keep it. So once the insurance comes and they make the determination to total it, is it too late for me to say i will fix it privatly? It really isnt a ton of work for me to do but a shop would be expensive and i can source most of it out pretty cheap.

TL;DR can i tell a insurance company to piss off after they look at the car and not go through with the claim

If they total it they will also give you a buy back price. The car will then have a salvage title and will need inspected by the state before you can register it again.

Did airbags deploy? If so your looking at a lot of $$$ to just fix the damage the airbag system caused. If not then it's probably worth fixing since the sentimental value is still there.

Nope no air bags just bumper cover and front quarters and small damage to rear cover i found as well. I just wasnt sure if I could tell the insurance person that LOL JK we dont need you any more she called you without consulting with me haha

Good deal on the airbags. Now when you get parts the important thing is receipts or if you buy parts from a private party you will have to have the receipt notarized. Small parts don't matter but if you gotta replace bumper covers, hood, fenders they're going to want to know exactly where or who you bought them from. The inspection has nothing to do with road worthiness of the car but everything to do with watching out for stolen parts on the car. If they think you have stolen parts they'll make you take them off right there and confiscate them. The whole process usually only takes less than a half hour once your car is in the bay. I've always had good luck at the Alum Creek inspection place but it might take you a month to get an appointment. There's a few other locations you could go but I believe the next closest to Columbus is about 65 miles away.

Total it.

Buy back from insurance.

Buy replacement parts and keep receipts.

Get vehicle inspected-show receipts to state

Done.

This.

And don't get screwed by the INS Co. If they total it, they WILL lowball you. If you go that route, when negotiating the value of the vehicle, do NOT give them a #. In other words, don't be like, "nope, I need $6000." PM me before it gets that far and I can give you some more detailed pointers/explanations.