Windows 8 question

buelliganx1

So my step daughters father bought her a new HP laptop for Christmas. Well while she was on it the other day it crashed on her and since it was not new but refurbished and her dad didnt get an extended warranty I'll be fixing it for her. I've narrowed it down to a bad hard drive since it will boot to Linux through the USB and in the BIOS I cant even check the hard drive because it doesnt recognize it as being there. So here's my problem, it was originally loaded with Windows 8 obviously thats on the hard drive so it's not there any more, I have no recover disk and there is no Windows product key sticker on her laptop. How do I go about re installing Windows 8? I dont even want to waste my time calling Microsoft since I dont have a product key, I've never seen a computer with windows installed that doesnt have the product key somewhere on it before, is this a new thing?

Well since my neither my step daughters father or my wife or my step daughter bothered to make a system recovery disk it looks like I'm screwed or I should say she is screwed. HP will be more than happy to sell me a recovery disk for $30-40 which will not require me to have a product key, thank you come again. This laptop is 4 months old it was a 3 month warranty.