Anyone eat fish from Alum Creek?

hpfiend

Hello all-

I have always been a catch and release kind of guy but I was wondering if one were to be interested, are fish safe to eat out of alum creek? Is there a better alternative that one would go to within a few hours?

Thanks!

Andrew

Yep ate Crappie from Alum several times. I know a ton of guys on OhioGameFishing.com, catch and eat all kinds of fish from Channel cats to Saugeye, to even Blue Gill.

I've always been one to fill a cooler with clean water and toss my keepers in there while fishing to at least filter them out for a few hours.

Worked in Fisheries for a few years. Certified OGF OG.

Alum - Fine

Buckeye - Fine

Hoover - Fine

Indian - Fine

Scioto (North of 5th Ave) - Fine for Crappie/Saugeye, Catfish? I personally wouldn't eat them. Don't eat the Bass either, they're full of carcinogens.....:gabe:

Scioto (South of 5th ave, and Especially South of Greenlawn) - Wouldn't eat anything, although the fishing can be excellent (keep that "our" secret ;) )

For more see http://epa.ohio.gov/dsw/fishadvisory/index.aspx

- Also I wouldn't even fish the streams labeled "All Species: DO NOT EAT"....Note the Scioto isn't even close to that ranking, despite what 80% of Columbus Residents think...That said the Little Scioto - far North of Coumbus in Marion County - (headwaters of the Scioto) is pretty nasty.

Yep ate Crappie from Alum several times. I know a ton of guys on OhioGameFishing.com, catch and eat all kinds of fish from Channel cats to Saugeye, to even Blue Gill.

Just trying to help here (along with nabbing my first triple in quite some time);

As a rule of thumb contaminants are deposited in fatty-tissue areas, the more fat a fish has, the higher the contaminants. Panfish (Crappie, Bl00Gill,Etc) have little to no fat. Bass/Saugeye - Moderate Fat levels (depending on the season). Catfish - high fat, basically all year.

Just trying to help here (along with nabbing my first triple in quite some time);

As a rule of thumb contaminants are deposited in fatty-tissue areas, the more fat a fish has, the higher the contaminants. Panfish (Crappie, Bl00Gill,Etc) have little to no fat. Bass/Saugeye - Moderate Fat levels (depending on the season). Catfish - high fat, basically all year.

Thanks for the info. I've caught a ton of catfish from alum (several great eating size) but I've always given them away if there were people fishing by me that were keeping them. Love catfishing but don't like the taste of catfish much myself.