How to deal with a coyote in town.......... Back counter perhaps?

cstmg8

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've said this in another similar thread, but I really feel if you can't come up with an alternative to killing a wild animal, then I feel you haven't really exhausted your options and really want to kill it or you're just too damn stupid or lazy to come up with something that works.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and I'm aware that occasionally there are times this may be the only choice. These times are pretty damn rare and unlikely to occur here.

I DO speak from experience having spent many years of my life living WAY out in the woods. We're talking not even a paved road for miles. I've had more than my fair share of various wild animals interacting both with me and my many animals - chickens, goats, horses, rabbits, etc. You can fend shit off without killing it. It just takes the proper approach, respect and time.

If you really want to kill something, kill some of those deer you see. We now have a serious overpopulation issue due to our culling of "dangerous" predators. They're also increasing the risks of tick borne disease to a calamitous level.

I know I've said this in another similar thread, but I really feel if you can't come up with an alternative to killing a wild animal, then I feel you haven't really exhausted your options and really want to kill it or you're just too damn stupid or lazy to come up with something that works.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and I'm aware that occasionally there are times this may be the only choice. These times are pretty damn rare and unlikely to occur here.

I DO speak from experience having spent many years of my life living WAY out in the woods. We're talking not even a paved road for miles. I've had more than my fair share of various wild animals interacting both with me and my many animals - chickens, goats, horses, rabbits, etc. You can fend shit off without killing it. It just takes the proper approach, respect and time.

If you really want to kill something, kill some of those deer you see. We now have a serious overpopulation issue due to our culling of "dangerous" predators. They're also increasing the risks of tick borne disease to a calamitous level.

Yeah, id rather kill a Coyote. They are rats to me. They are absolute trash.

We have a worse overpopulation of coyote. They are open season with no limit year round.

I've never seen one up close around my house in Lewis Center, but I have heard them call out to there buddy's it was dinner time. I would would either get my 22 long rifle out or bring out my Mosin-Nagant for something longer range. ;)

I've spotted pumas and foxes in my backyard, and have never thought about harming them. I also have a tiny 7lb dog (ex gf dog) that roams free in the backyard when he wants to go out, he will figure things out ��

You peopl are crazy talking about killing a wild animal in the wild....

I still say that if you have 3 dogs that can't kill a coyote, then you better dogs, maybe real dogs.. lol

Lol, that's part of the problem, they WILL attack it. Two of our dogs have already killed two groundhogs and a raccoon in the backyard. The third and smallest dog, would just avoid it anyway. I don't really want the dogs fighting coyotes in the backyard, the vet bills that would be forced upon me by my old lady just for "checkups" would be ridiculous ! Lol much more than one round of lead.

For those who "can't believe we would kill a wild animal", I won't kill/harm an animal just for the hell of it, but if it's for food/safety or sometimes just general nuisance, I won't think twice.

Poison is a terrible idea for many reasons.

Just scare it off with some loud noises or act aggressive towards it. It's not going to stick around if your dogs are outside...unless maybe they are the size of a rabbit. Even then the dogs are usually more aggressive and will scare it off. I have coyotes (sometimes a pack!) in my backyard and they don't bother anything except the rabbits.

My brother had one that made a den under his shed in the Beechwold area. He called animal control and they said they couldn't do anything about it. My cousin ended up shooting it with an arrow.

airsoft. get a top notch airsoft rifle. a good one. the "ole lady" cant tell you no! you need it! its a necessary tool. now you can shoot the hell out of it. if it comes back great! more target practice. if it doesn't you have a new fun toy, er i mean necessary tool!

I've spotted pumas and foxes in my backyard, and have never thought about harming them. I also have a tiny 7lb dog (ex gf dog) that roams free in the backyard when he wants to go out, he will figure things out ��

You peopl are crazy talking about killing a wild animal in the wild....

I find it hard to believe you see pumas in your back yard.

http://www.hoothollow.com/February%202006/Animals%20of%20Montana%20images/Puma%20-%20Cougar-072580%20RAW.jpg

Bobcats, maybe, pumas, not likely.

http://www.hoothollow.com/February%202006/Animals%20of%20Montana%20images/Puma%20-%20Cougar-072580%20RAW.jpg

Mountain lion, Puma, same crap. I live in NC not Ohio

Are bobcats common here? My parents live in CT where the population has almost been wiped out but has begun to recover, and they have a few foxes and bobcats that live in the area around their house (they're on a large hill near a state park).

EDIT: Can't let this gem go unrecognized

Have you tried switching to Roadrunner service?

:lolguy:

Mountain lion, Puma, same crap. I live in NC not Ohio

Touche. You location says "earth" so I just assumed you were in OH/Columbus.

Are bobcats common here? My parents live in CT where the population has almost been wiped out but has begun to recover, and they have a few foxes and bobcats that live in the area around their house (they're on a large hill near a state park).

EDIT: Can't let this gem go unrecognized

:lolguy:

Not common, but do exist.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/01/29/bobcats-returning-to-ohio.html