2000 Civic CX timing belt questions/help request

dakotart

I replaced my timing belt between 95k-100k

Today at just over 150k it broke in half on the way home between 40-50mph

I'm looking up the parts and everything is saying that the engine is an interference engine.

Can anyone confirm?

I know I turned the motor over (by hand) when I replaced it the first time when I was trying to figure out a incorrect timing and it never seized up from the pistons hitting the valves.

Also, before I realized it was the timing belt, I tried starting the car several times thinking it was due to low battery (had my booster pack).

TIA

Rich

Thanks. If it is, what do I need to check?

At a minimum all the valves. If it was mine I'd replace all the valves even if one showed wear. Hopefully the pistons didn't get chewed up. Depending on your situation it's almost cheaper to buy a known good junkyard pullout and do the small stuff while it's out and drop it in if you want to keep the car for awhile. Just my $.02. Plenty of people on here know more than me and will chime in with a little more comprehensive answer.

Not sure if it's an interference motor or not, but the ones I've pulled apart after the belt breaks typically just ding the pistons and bend some valves. So what is typical is removing the cylinder head and having a machine shop repair it.

A proper leak down test on all cylinders would confirm if there is damage or not, if it was my car I do a leak down before pulling the head on the chance it isn't hurt.

I have a scope. I'll run it down into the cylinders and have a look.

I have to pull the valve cover to do the timing belt so hopefully I can see if there is any damage from up top.

Well best of luck seeing the valves with a scope, that's not easy to do when your spark plug hole is on top between the valves. You're not going to see damage to the valves from up top it will only bend the end. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but a leak down is the only way to prove anything short of pulling the head. Now if you have a smoke machine you can put smoke through the spark plug hole instead of air pressure. Best of luck.

yes its an interference engine, do a cylinder leak down that's the only sure way without taking the head off, I've seen "SOME" Honda engines break a t-belt and no other damage. Now the real question, did you use a genuine Honda timing belt or an aftermarket t-belt? did you replace the water pump & timing belt tensioner? at lastly the most common item that gets overlooked is the cam seals, if those are leaking oil guess where that oil goes...on the timing belt.

yes its an interference engine, do a cylinder leak down that's the only sure way without taking the head off, I've seen "SOME" Honda engines break a t-belt and no other damage. Now the real question, did you use a genuine Honda timing belt or an aftermarket t-belt? did you replace the water pump & timing belt tensioner? at lastly the most common item that gets overlooked is the cam seals, if those are leaking oil guess where that oil goes...on the timing belt.

Thanks. I did confirm that it was interference. I put on a new belt (aftermarket, not OEM) but did replace both the water pump and tensioner (both at 95k and now). Cam and Crank seals are good. no oil leaking from either.

Scoped all cylinders and didn't see any damage or marks that indicated the valves hit the pistons. Put on the new belt and did a compression test. I don't have a leak down test kit. All are within 20% and didn't indicate leaking valves. So I put the plugs in and started it.

It appears that I have been very lucky and don't have any other damage.

I'm now going into hiding until 2015 as I think I just used up all of my luck for the entire year.

Thanks again,

Rich

I'm happy that you got lucky with it. Now hopefully the belt outlasts the car.

Me too. I'm setting the next maintenance replacement at 40k.

The tensioner and water pump bearings still seemed good, but why chance it. So I put in new ones.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks. I did confirm that it was interference. I put on a new belt (aftermarket, not OEM) but did replace both the water pump and tensioner (both at 95k and now). Cam and Crank seals are good. no oil leaking from either.

Scoped all cylinders and didn't see any damage or marks that indicated the valves hit the pistons. Put on the new belt and did a compression test. I don't have a leak down test kit. All are within 20% and didn't indicate leaking valves. So I put the plugs in and started it.

It appears that I have been very lucky and don't have any other damage.

I'm now going into hiding until 2015 as I think I just used up all of my luck for the entire year.

Thanks again,

Rich

always use a factory belt, try to stay away from the aftermarket stuff