Weld-on 4-link rear suspension for trucks?

zeitgeist57

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weld-On-Triangulated-4-Link-Kit-Rear-brackets-2600-Bags-Air-Ride-Suspension-/121254469889#ht_3588wt_1003

Cleetus, my 1982 Ford F100, is a great little 2WD DD/suburban beater. I cut the front springs and flipped the rear leaf spring shackle to drop it a bit, and it's still ridden fine except from a driveshaft vibration from an uncorrected pinion angle. However, I unfortunately found out that the rear leaf spring eyes were both cracked.

About 6 years ago, I totally rebuilt Cleetus II's (1985 Chevy C10 Heavy-Half) rear suspension with new leaf springs and a totally redone axle with a Detroit True-Trac that I rebuilt myself. I remember the leaf springs being relatively cheap, but the whole job cost me over $600 in parts. Now, in looking at '80-'86 F100/150 springs, it's several hundo just for the spring packs!

I have a Harbor Freight welder and I've got some experience with shade-tree projects. Combined with my desire to keep the truck low but street-driveable (with the occasional yard waste haul) I'm thinking that even a generic 4-link kit would be better than cracked springs, plus I would naturally have a chance to correct the pinion angle. With air-bags and their adjustability to boot, I'm liking this project.

Just curious as to people's thoughts, or if anyone's done this sort of project (or knows a friend/family member that has as well). As a car guy I fully appreciate the negative stigma of "Under Konstruction" S10s scraping bumper in Sawmill parking lots, but those of you that know me understand I'm a 0-FKS-GIVEN "heightsbilly" that enjoys cheap auto projects to compliment my suburban existence.

I'm not able to think of a better way to both fix and update a worn-out old leaf spring setup. FYI, I'll be keeping this truck for a looooooooong time. Thanks!

Edited by zeitgeist57

:nono:

Get some leaf springs and correct the driveline angle with shims between the springs and axle or cut the mounts and weld them back on in the desired angle. Putting together a 4 link has the potential for many issue, the first being proper welding. Having the ability to get proper penetration and strong consistent welds is paramount with suspension components, a task I wouldn't attempt even with the right tools. That is a job I'd leave to pros. What kind of liability would you incur if you're driving down 315 on your way to C&C with your 2 kids and one of thos links comes loose?

• 2 weeks later...