Porsche advise

Jewtoys

Looking at picking up some cheap toys this summer. I'm not a die hard Porsche guy and don't know the values. Have wanted a 930 for years and always get cold feet. This thing is dirt cheap and I like how it's in rough shape... Is this a decent deal ?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131117999522?nav=SEARCH

Looks like the seller has has invested in a new motor and tranny rebuild and other track goodies,so you know at least the guy has put $$ into the car.

Are you looking to track it too?

At best a few track events, I prefer the mountains. I live in NC.

I know the basics of each year 911 and such just not sure about values. I generally don't keep things long so I try and make sure I pick something up I can dump for roughly what I have into it, but don't we all want that...

Price of 911's is pretty damn strong right now.

Even with high miles, it should be a good investment and a great fun car.

Yeah values seem to be crazy in certain models from when I last window shopped last year. I'm debating adding two or more cars this summer or possibly just one due to space.

Considering a R1 powered Locost, 900+hp EVO, and a 911 of this era. This track rat appeals to me though and I could probably live with driving it semi long distances where with the Locost I'm not sure I could. 900+ Evo is just a one truck pony for the day and a half it would be working at a time

You're going to be disappointed if you think that's going to be a "cheap" toy.

I honestly wouldn't pay 15,9 for it.

I'm talking the purchase price, I understand the service and parts pricing that comes along with it. Pretty certain I've never had a car for a full year so it couldn't be too bad ha

Considering what you can get for "only" a few grand more, why not look at something newer and/or a nicer paint job? If you wanted to fix that up, you're looking at thousands right there alone...

I'm noticing a trend here for 80s 911's...

No engine/trans: $10k

Engine trans good, interior exterior rough: $15k

Powertrain good, appearance good: $20k

Price varies slightly by differences in each example. I guess the question is how much do you want to fix up whatever you buy, or are you truly going to buy, drive, and sell it in a year?

If you don't intend on owning it that long I'd be concerned with your ability to re-sell an old track prepped Carrera. There is a surprising and strong market for nice air cooled cars, but not for track prepped air cooled cars unless it's specifically built to a PCA race class rules which that one does not appear to be.

Honestly if you want the best driving experience you can get and don't intend on keeping it that long 996's have effectively bottomed in value. You can get a nice '99-01 3.4 car for $20k.

There are certain air cooled cars that you could buy and even speculate that you could make money on them but you need to spend $40+ to get into something in that category.

If you don't intend on owning it that long I'd be concerned with your ability to re-sell an old track prepped Carrera. There is a surprising and strong market for nice air cooled cars, but not for track prepped air cooled cars unless it's specifically built to a PCA race class rules which that one does not appear to be.

Honestly if you want the best driving experience you can get and don't intend on keeping it that long 996's have effectively bottomed in value. You can get a nice '99-01 3.4 car for $20k.

There are certain air cooled cars that you could buy and even speculate that you could make money on them but you need to spend $40+ to get into something in that category.

That's another worry, is trying to resell it... I actually like the car as is, rebuilt motor and trans are a big plus. The rough paint is fine, as I drive the snout out of things I own. 996 do nothing for me..

Appreciate all the info

50k? is that right? 1990 964 with 82,000 miles... even with the "mods"

http://redlineservice.com/?page_id=310

It's probably worth less because of the mods. Nice 964 Turbo's are in that range all day. 3.6 964 turbos (Bad Boys car) are 75-100k cars as are 993 turbo's too.

Heck there's a 17k mile all original RS America on the market right now for $150k. Older Rare Porsche's are going through the roof currently as well as a couple current models.

It's probably worth less because of the mods. Nice 964 Turbo's are in that range all day. 3.6 964 turbos (Bad Boys car) are 75-100k cars as are 993 turbo's too.

Heck there's a 17k mile all original RS America on the market right now for $150k. Older Rare Porsche's are going through the roof currently as well as a couple current models.

Newer GT3 prices are insane as well. That's why I feel at 15k this may be a great driver... It's rough but the drivetrain is solid according to the owner with the claims of it being rebuilt... This would see a ton of curvy mountain road driving with zero care as to rock chips and such... I cannot find another example at this price point. I would feel bad finding a clean one knowing it's going to get a million rock chips from me. My Elise looks like it's been to Baghdad and back

Newer GT3 prices are insane as well. That's why I feel at 15k this may be a great driver... It's rough but the drivetrain is solid according to the owner with the claims of it being rebuilt... This would see a ton of curvy mountain road driving with zero care as to rock chips and such... I cannot find another example at this price point. I would feel bad finding a clean one knowing it's going to get a million rock chips from me. My Elise looks like it's been to Baghdad and back

Yup. They announced no manual transmission for 991 GT3 and the 3.8 and 4.0 RS's went through the roof. Heck even my GT3 is worth 10k more in the current market than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

Yup. They announced no manual transmission for 991 GT3 and the 3.8 and 4.0 RS's went through the roof. Heck even my GT3 is worth 10k more in the current market than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

Wild. I get to see a 4.0 daily, guy down the street DD his.....

Crazy. They've turned into collector cars not something *most* people aren't using. Can't touch a 4.0 under 300k right now, low mileage garage queens are $350-360

He has 5 different P cars, and rolls the 4.0 almost daily. Pretty cool if you ask me. It seems the majority of Porsche people drive their cars. I see the same two 930 daily as well..

Last I checked a few months ago, you could still get pretty decent 964s for around $20k. 3 years ago I just missed an RS America on rennlist for $16k in pretty decent shape, but 3.2 carreras were like $15k cars then. WTF is going on with porsche people nowadays?

Last I checked a few months ago, you could still get pretty decent 964s for around $20k. 3 years ago I just missed an RS America on rennlist for $16k in pretty decent shape, but 3.2 carreras were like $15k cars then. WTF is going on with porsche people nowadays?

New cars are so big now and lack the feel of these older buckets

911SC is pretty bullet proof...had one for 3 years and no issues at all as a dd. Price seems a bit high. I'd bet it is pretty rough in person. Probabably can't get hurt around 12k. Put some money in it and make a profit.

Guy won't take less than 15.5. I haven't seen one under that price tag though. It's setup just how I would like one, I cannot justify spending 6+k more for a clean one then having to add all the suspension bits, plus the cage and seats.

Prices on the 964 are going through the roof with no sign of stopping. I'm glad I got mine when I did. :)

Guy won't take less than 15.5. I haven't seen one under that price tag though. It's setup just how I would like one, I cannot justify spending 6+k more for a clean one then having to add all the suspension bits, plus the cage and seats.

Sounds to me like you found your car then. :thumbup: