My mom needs a basic laptop. Thoughts on this one?

Browning

Should do just fine. That 8400 should also do ok with some basic games too. For something to browse the web/email/etc with that APU chip will do more than well

Thank you. Price seem okay as well? Doubt she'd get an extended warranty or anything. All she does online is emails, facebook, and occasional skype with my sister in another state.

Neither of us have used windows 8 but I hear it's really not that different?

Literally any turd you find on the shelf at any store nowadays will get the job done for 97% of people, you really can't go wrong with whatever you find. If you want to spend a little less money, hit up Micro Center and see what they have. I bought my mom the cheapest laptop on the shelf a couple of years ago, it was a $250 E-Machines turd. It's still going strong for what my mom uses it for, which is checking facebook and watching youtube videos basically.

meh... junk... 3 cell battery, windows 8.1 with no touch screen... she will complain about battery life and frustration with using the tile function of Windows 8 with no touch screen capacity... If you buy it, load Windows 7 on it and get rid of that POS that Microsoft calls Windows 8

Literally any turd you find on the shelf at any store nowadays will get the job done for 97% of people, you really can't go wrong with whatever you find. If you want to spend a little less money, hit up Micro Center and see what they have. I bought my mom the cheapest laptop on the shelf a couple of years ago, it was a $250 E-Machines turd. It's still going strong for what my mom uses it for, which is checking facebook and watching youtube videos basically.
We rode in yesterday and she liked this one and bought it. She's quite happy with it. Just needs to learn some tricks using windows 8. She couldn't get use to the no start button thing so I installed shell which changed it to be more like windows 7 and she's happy as can be lol. There was a couple cheaper than this one but she didn't care much for them

Seems pretty nice to me. Only thing is more RAM is always better, but 4gb is probably OK.
She's going from an old p4 with 2 GB of RAM and xp to this. Huge improvement for her.

meh... junk... 3 cell battery, windows 8.1 with no touch screen... she will complain about battery life and frustration with using the tile function of Windows 8 with no touch screen capacity... If you buy it, load Windows 7 on it and get rid of that POS that Microsoft calls Windows 8

Why u so angry tho?

LOL, not angry, just stating facts... you asked for people's opinions and I've dealt with way too many people complain about windows 8 WITH touchscreen, let alone without one...

I was just messing with you. I looked online at some with windows 7 but the one from best buy seemed like a good deal