Caliper is stuck

Stretch

Looking for a little advice on the best way to go about this.

Put new wheels on my car yesterday and went to back it out and the front passenger brake caliper is stuck. Is it possible that it's just frozen with the recent cold days? I drove the car about 2 weeks ago and it was fine.

Somebody suggested trying to drive it and maybe it will break loose. I don't have the money to replace them all really as I just bought a ton of stuff for it.

Thanks for any advice.

Its stuck clamping the disc? If that's the case you could always try taking the caliper off (if you can) and use a c clamp on it.

Correct. I think I'll try reversing the car tomorrow and see if that breaks it free. If not I'll see if I can remove it

I may be wrong. But sounds like disconnect the lines from the caliper and take the rotor and caliper off the car. Assuming the caliper can't not be Separated from the rotor. From there, compress the piston to separate them and then inspect the caliper. At this point, I would just replace it because I don't like to dick with things that have already been an issue.

Reassemble and bleed brakes. It sucks and takes time, but you'll know for sure what has been done or is the issue.

I may be wrong. But sounds like disconnect the lines from the caliper and take the rotor and caliper off the car. Assuming the caliper can't not be Separated from the rotor. From there, compress the piston to separate them and then inspect the caliper. At this point, I would just replace it because I don't like to dick with things that have already been an issue.

Reassemble and bleed brakes. It sucks and takes time, but you'll know for sure what has been done or is the issue.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. More than likely I'll just replace the whole setup.

Do the new wheels clear the calipers?

Yea.

What is the condition of the brake fluid? It is also possible that you have a collapsed hose which is causing a fluid flow situation.

If you take the caliper off then you could remove the pistons, clean piston walls and caliper bore, clean out the caliper cavities, and then reinstall. There really isn't much to a caliper. A rebuild is usually quite easy if you opt for that. It's messy, but easy.

What is the condition of the brake fluid? It is also possible that you have a collapsed hose which is causing a fluid flow situation.

If you take the caliper off then you could remove the pistons, clean piston walls and caliper bore, clean out the caliper cavities, and then reinstall. There really isn't much to a caliper. A rebuild is usually quite easy if you opt for that. It's messy, but easy.

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't had any time to mess with it yet. I'm hoping I can get around to it Wednesday

Are you positive it is the brakes? Are the wheels a different off set than your "old" wheels? Make sure the back lip of the wheel isn't grinding a suspension component........look for a shiny mark.

Me thinks it's not a brake problem, and your interpretation is miss-leading the general assembly here. Let's not get to far into brakes before you are sure it's the brakes. A stuck caliper will not cause "grinding" unless there is no brake pad left, or it has fallen off if you have only driven a short distance.

SECONDLY, make sure that NOT ONLY THE WHEEL, BUT THE WHEEL WEIGHTS clear the caliper.

Are you positive it is the brakes? Are the wheels a different off set than your "old" wheels? Make sure the back lip of the wheel isn't grinding a suspension component........look for a shiny mark.

Me thinks it's not a brake problem, and your interpretation is miss-leading the general assembly here. Let's not get to far into brakes before you are sure it's the brakes. A stuck caliper will not cause "grinding" unless there is no brake pad left, or it has fallen off if you have only driven a short distance.

SECONDLY, make sure that NOT ONLY THE WHEEL, BUT THE WHEEL WEIGHTS clear the caliper.

Good point. I'm going to put my other wheels back on and see what happens.

Good way to eliminate the new wheels as the problem. I know it seems dumb, and I am sure we have all done it, but did you put one of the rear wheels on the front?

Nope. They're different sizes so I'd be a complete moron to accidentally put a 315 on the front. I thought of it though lol

Little update... Just pulled the wheels off the car, and all 4 rotors spun by hand just fine. I figured maybe it just had something to do with the cold weather and the issue was fixed.

Put each wheel back on very slowly and triple checked to make sure that nothing was rubbing or touching. Got all 4 back on, started the car, and one is stuck again. I should have just put the old wheels back on.. My own fault.

Going to try the old wheels tomorrow and see if that fixes it.