Dispute with Shop Help

Xyster101

Cliffs

I have an '03 civic with 120k miles

Last year car had poor heat, timing belt and water pump done (OEM).

This winter still poor heat unless engine was reved over 2,500.

Local shop bled system, problem returned. Shop diagnosed head gasket. Head gasket replaced, head machined, valve job not done, $1300.

With in 4 days of getting the car back check engine light comes on for V-tec. Shop said it was low on oil. Since I had the head gasket done it burns a quart of oil every 300 miles (tank of gas). It only used 1 quart for 5,000 miles before the head gasket.

I want the shop to pull the head again because something was done wrong. Shop says if they find nothing wrong who is going to pay for the 2nd replacement. They tried a new PCV valve, some additive in the oil and they claim it must be the rings. Engine has good, even compression (could be an oil ring still). All spark plugs look the same.

There is no oil on the garage floor or the bottom of the engine. I took it to Honda for a second opinion and they said it is burning oil and without pulling the head they don't know why.

Anyone heard of a honda going from no oil to this much in 4 days? I want the shop to make it right, but they are giving me the run around. They talk about the number of head gaskets they have done without problems. They argue if they pull the head and it is not that, what next? It has been 2 months of going in every 2 weeks to complain and they blame something else.

What would you do? :mad:

You dont have to pull the head to determine if it is the rings. Do a leak down test. My bet is you will find a ton of air coming out of the oil fill when the cylinder is pressurized.

Rings really? Goes from not using oil to using a quarter a tank of gas? Seems too quick. I thought rings die slowly. Months not days. But this is all opinions and I'm not an expert.

Head gasket did fix the heat, before head gasket they did find exhauste gases in the radiator.

The oil either will go on the ground, into the coolant or out the tail pipe. The best way to figure it out is a leak down test. You should be able to find someone to do that for less than $100. You could go to harbor freight and get the tester and do it yourself for about $45. The leak down test will also tell you if you have a bad head gasket. If it was the head gasket and your losing that much oil I would think your coolant would look nasty. My money is on rings.