GTR PPI

Jewtoys

I'm planning on taking a AMS Alpha 9 GTR off my friends hands, normally when I buy a car I do the normal look at the usual stuff and drive it and call it a day. I don't know much about these and would prefer dishing out the money on a PPI. The car was making 950+HP on pump gas with a built motor, which has since exploded.. The car currently has a stock replacement motor and is making 700HP with a built trans.

Would a GTR equipped Nissan dealer be my best bet or should I look at shops that deal with upgrading these? Not sure how much faith I have in dealers..

Thanks

I'm planning on taking a AMS Alpha 9 GTR off my friends hands, normally when I buy a car I do the normal look at the usual stuff and drive it and call it a day. I don't know much about these and would prefer dishing out the money on a PPI. The car was making 950+HP on pump gas with a built motor, which has since exploded.. The car currently has a stock replacement motor and is making 700HP with a built trans.

Would a GTR equipped Nissan dealer be my best bet or should I look at shops that deal with upgrading these? Not sure how much faith I have in dealers..

Thanks

It would depend on the performance shop but even those (Like us) that have never built one to that level could still strap it on a dyno and do a few pulls to check how the tune looks and then approach it from more of a "Modification / Tune" aspect as opposed to just a general inspection a dealer would typically do on a stock car.

Obviously someplace like Swytzer or AMS would be ideal but maybe not convenient.

I personally would focus most of the inspection / concern on the engine bay / tunnel (Chassis) from where the engine / transmission was removed and such. If a hose wasn't tightened or clamp was a little loose chances are that was found pretty quickly at 700HP but scratches / dents / imperfections to the chassis can be hidden with the drivetrain re-installed unless you are really really looking.

Just my 2-cents...

Jeff

It would depend on the performance shop but even those (Like us) that have never built one to that level could still strap it on a dyno and do a few pulls to check how the tune looks and then approach it from more of a "Modification / Tune" aspect as opposed to just a general inspection a dealer would typically do on a stock car.

Obviously someplace like Swytzer or AMS would be ideal but maybe not convenient.

I personally would focus most of the inspection / concern on the engine bay / tunnel (Chassis) from where the engine / transmission was removed and such. If a hose wasn't tightened or clamp was a little loose chances are that was found pretty quickly at 700HP but scratches / dents / imperfections to the chassis can be hidden with the drivetrain re-installed unless you are really really looking.

Just my 2-cents...

Jeff

That's something I didn't think of, could have the dealer do a PPI and have a trusted shop do a few dyno pulls. If all is well I will be purchasing it, from a friend. The downside he is the type to just bring it to a shop and really has no idea about any tech specs or anything... So I want the thing looked at carefully. He had a Ferrari 360 and thought changing the oil every 15k miles was acceptable because the Amsoil bottles said so.... I know this car has been taken care of though, because it's broke a few times and has been in and out of the shop, so more time in their hands than his ha ha

I'd be willing to pay for several PPIs, considering the risks involved: it's a high-dollar vehicle, it has been heavily modified, it has a history of mechanical failure, and you're purchasing it from a friend. I'd shell out the extra cash for the additional PPIs just to make sure.

It's a highly modified car. While a PPI is a great indicator of current issues, it's not a crystal ball.

Recently a high HP GTR was sold that had not one, but TWO PPIs done before the transaction was completed. Within 50 miles, the motor blew. Logs were pulled, and the car was not abused at all in the 50 miles. Just the nature of the beast. On the other hand I know of people with 30k+ miles of abuse at well over 1000whp with zero issues. It's a crap shoot.

The factory GTR rods are awful. So awful that stock turbos can bend them with ease if the torque is not kept in check lower in the revs.

Why someone would toss a stock rod engine in this car is confusing.

Do you plan on building the motor or doing anything?

If not, Alpha 9 is not for you. You are sacrificing spool for power that you can not use on stock rods.

It's a highly modified car. While a PPI is a great indicator of current issues, it's not a crystal ball.

Recently a high HP GTR was sold that had not one, but TWO PPIs done before the transaction was completed. Within 50 miles, the motor blew. Logs were pulled, and the car was not abused at all in the 50 miles. Just the nature of the beast. On the other hand I know of people with 30k+ miles of abuse at well over 1000whp with zero issues. It's a crap shoot.

The factory GTR rods are awful. So awful that stock turbos can bend them with ease if the torque is not kept in check lower in the revs.

Why someone would toss a stock rod engine in this car is confusing.

Do you plan on building the motor or doing anything?

If not, Alpha 9 is not for you. You are sacrificing spool for power that you can not use on stock rods.

I understand it can break, I just don't want to purchase it with a list of issues to get back to where I thought the car was when I bought it. I have no issues with anything breaking in my possession once I own it, not the type of person to have the car then complain once something breaks. It's a used car and things will break.

I'm not sure why a stock replacement motor was put back in and some of the guts from the built motor weren't transferred over, the owner wouldn't know as he has a shop doing all of his work, which I will as well. I hate working on cars when I can pay to hopefully have it done right the first time.

I haven't priced a motor build, but it looks like that should be something to factor in....

I'd be willing to pay for several PPIs, considering the risks involved: it's a high-dollar vehicle, it has been heavily modified, it has a history of mechanical failure, and you're purchasing it from a friend. I'd shell out the extra cash for the additional PPIs just to make sure.

If he's a freind, I'd have him pay for it. If you dont buy it it would be a great selling tool anyways.

I understand it can break, I just don't want to purchase it with a list of issues to get back to where I thought the car was when I bought it. I have no issues with anything breaking in my possession once I own it, not the type of person to have the car then complain once something breaks. It's a used car and things will break.

I'm not sure why a stock replacement motor was put back in and some of the guts from the built motor weren't transferred over, the owner wouldn't know as he has a shop doing all of his work, which I will as well. I hate working on cars when I can pay to hopefully have it done right the first time.

I haven't priced a motor build, but it looks like that should be something to factor in....

To be clear, I was just playing devil's advocate. I LOVE the GT-R and definitely think you will be happy with one.

I have no idea what kind of money you plan of spending on this purchase, but if it is the kind of money the typical Alpha builds command... I would attempt to find a way to have AMS complete the PPI.

If that is not possible, I agree with the plan to have a dealer do one and have someone like IPS do another (including dyno time).

Any pics of the car?

If he's a freind, I'd have him pay for it. If you dont buy it it would be a great selling tool anyways.

I've never heard of a owner paying for the PPI..... That's kicking someone in the knees a little too hard, and you know I'm pretty stingy.

It's a 2010 with roughly 30k miles, 56k. Great deal

I've never heard of a owner paying for the PPI..... That's kicking someone in the knees a little too hard, and you know I'm pretty stingy.

It's a 2010 with roughly 30k miles, 56k. Great deal

WAT.

If you dont take it, let me know.

I will buy it sight unseen if it has a clean carfax. I'm serious.

WAT.

If you dont take it, let me know.

I will buy it sight unseen if it has a clean carfax. I'm serious.

I responded to your PM.

Most likely I will end up turning it for a few bucks, but still don't want any surprises. Bought into a business recently so coughing up almost 60k isn't chump change for me.

Bought into a business recently so coughing up almost 60k isn't chump change for me.

It shouldn't be chump change for anyone. And if they act like it is, then they're probably chumps themselves.

Good luck with things - I hope it turns out well.

It shouldn't be chump change for anyone. And if they act like it is, then they're probably chumps themselves.

Not sure if that was directed at my "sight unseen" comment... but if so, I definitely don't think 60k is chump change.

It's just a different situation. I am in the business of re-selling cars, employ a full time tech who knows how to work on these cars, and have bins full of stock GTR parts.

Because of all that, it removes a lot of the risks for me that an individual would have to worry about.

Thanks!

Not sure if that was directed at my "sight unseen" comment... but if so, I definitely don't think 60k is chump change.

It's just a different situation. I am in the business of re-selling cars, employ a full time tech who knows how to work on these cars, and have bins full of stock GTR parts.

Because of all that, it removes a lot of the risks for me that an individual would have to worry about.

I didn't get that vibe from his post. I also understand you have a business doing this, a lot different than a 26 year old buying this junk to have fun with a possibly make a few bucks once finished.