An interesting e-mail I received

Green Bastard

These two short sentences, tell you a lot about our government and our culture:

1. We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

And here’s another one worth considering.

2. Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't.

Discuss.

3. You won $1million in the Australian lottery. Please send a check made out to "Cash" for $600 for processing fees to:

Happy Dude

742 Evergreen Terrace

Springfield

Not to derail the thread, but i was flipping through my gmail spam folder the other day just for shits and giggles, and i could not believe that these types of messages still exist. I am getting 1-2 A DAY. Are people really still this stupid that its even worth the time for these people to continue sending these emails out?

http://i.imgur.com/HGQjvmR.png

Ryan if you are going to post a political debate thread, at least add ONE sentence of your own thoughts before asking for the opinions of others. What do YOU think of this email, and I'll respond.

And by respond, I mean I'll agree with Greg.

Ryan if you are going to post a political debate thread, at least add ONE sentence of your own thoughts before asking for the opinions of others. What do YOU think of this email, and I'll respond.

haha

Oh, and my opinion, to make it official, is that I found the above comment full of humor and truth.

Fair enough, I was just trying to see where it would go. The first one I have no opinion on except people are bad, guns are not.

As for the second, I know how the social security system works. That being said, I see welfare as a lost cause now, so I would rather see my tax dollars go to someone who earned it than someone popping out more babies trying to make more money without doing anything.

Fair enough, I was just trying to see where it would go. The first one I have no opinion on except people are bad, guns are not.

As for the second, I know how the social security system works. That being said, I see welfare as a lost cause now, so I would rather see my tax dollars go to someone who earned it than someone popping out more babies trying to make more money without doing anything.

While there may be a decent percentage of people on assistance that actually need it, the majority are nothing more than nipple suckers who will ride the system out the rest of their life if they can. And they probably will. My girlfriend does case management for the mentally ill, and she says its incredibly easy to apply for it and receive it.

"Welfare" from a policy perspective typically includes Social Security, which is a social welfare program. From a colloquial perspective, I understand people typically mean things like TANF. There's no capital-W welfare program, so you need to define what you're talking about. The requirements for TANF were tightened up under Clinton's welfare reform push, but things to remember are that there are typically dependents involved, and so the money is, by definition, going towards people who are too young to work. Obviously the government doesn't want to give money directly to minors, so it gives it to their parent(s), who can only remain unemployed on TANF for 2 years. After that, they need to work a minimum of 30 hours a week for single parents, or a combined 55 hours per week for dual parents.

Since TANF is harder to get now than the equivalent programs in the '80s and early 90s, a lot of people have opted instead to "go on disability", which is... wait for it... actually Social Security money. This is the primary program used to care for the mentally ill, aka the people jeffro's girlfriend works with.

So a lot of people on "welfare" do actually work for their money, and a lot of people on social security don't. You may be leaning on this shorthand stereotype of welfare queens on the one hand, and WWII vets collecting social security on the other. This is the standard conservative narrative, which I don't think is correct, or helpful, and more people should probably question it.