WWCR do?

Forrest Gump 9

I have a chance to buy a one off vehicle. The car is nine years old and have 105k miles. It is in excellent condition. To my knowledge there a were less than five of them that were built and that's a very generous guess. I only know of two and this one is the "two". Do you think it worth buying it and saving it as an investment? Another thing is I already had the same car/engine but in a different body.

Cars in general are a high-risk investment; they're naturally depreciating save for a fickle collectors market. Plus you have to store it and maintain it and insure it. I would only get it if you plan to drive it and enjoy it, and if that's the case, who cares about the investment part of it.

what is it? It might help knowing that

Yeah, knowing what it is would help, I guess.

Also, what's the alternative? Not paying it off and selling it?

It's a 2005 MB E55 AMG wagon. There were less than 200 built, and this one is with the designo package so it's even rarer. I've only known of two and this one is the second.

The car will be paid off. The plan is to sit it in my garage under a car cover until my son old enought to drive.

Cars in general are a high-risk investment; they're naturally depreciating save for a fickle collectors market. Plus you have to store it and maintain it and insure it. I would only get it if you plan to drive it and enjoy it, and if that's the case, who cares about the investment part of it.

I already had an '04 e55 sedan. So basically I can enjoy that, and I do (weather permit of course).

the plus side is that those cars have been at the bottom of their depreciation curve for a couple of years now. So you're not going to buy it and loose money on it in the short term at least and there's always WTB E55 wagon posts on the various forums so it's a safe bet you can sell it if you want.

The downside is that while it's rare...it'd be a whole lot more attractive if it didn't have 100k miles on it. Collector car and high mileage generally do not go together.

They are great cars too...I've been thinking about selling mine for a couple years now (not wagon) but can never actually bring myself to follow through. I'm probably going to get my wife a different daily and start using the benz as my daily

Sorry, I misread your initial post (and was originally under the impression that you already owned the car and were contemplating paying it off). Now that I've decided to actually use my brain and read correctly, I more appropriately understand what you're asking.

I think cars are horrible investments overall. If you're looking at an investment, then I'd advise looking into something else. I'd purchase a car because I like it and want to drive it. I'd advise you doing the same. If, somehow, it ends up turning you a profit down the road (and thus ends up being an "investment" of sorts), then that's just bonus. But, I wouldn't buy the car thinking that it's primary purpose is to make me money.

You have to buy cars with your heart.

If you really like and want that car, buy it. It's clear it's not really going to depreciate much if any further. Buying it solely as an investment is a poor choice IMO.

Sounds more like choosing a wife than choosing a car .....

But you're certainly entitled to my own opinion :p

That's a nice MB. I really like the black on tan too. What does that certain package it has come with?

It's the Designo package. That's 50% of why I want to buy it the other 50% is the wagon. Who doesn't love a wagon right?

Anyway, it come with a special paint, under the sun you see the brown in it. The tan leather seats and the door panels are also tan. The shift lever and floor mats have the Designo lettering in them.

It's the Designo package. That's 50% of why I want to buy it the other 50% is the wagon. Who doesn't love a wagon right?

Anyway, it come with a special paint, under the sun you see the brown in it. The tan leather seats and the door panels are also tan. The shift lever and floor mats have the Designo lettering in them.

Very nice! Congrats!