Sea Doo Advice

Jewtoys

It's starting to finally get warm and I'm looking at picking up another pwc, every year I buy these used have fun and sell them when it starts to get cold and get all of my money back. Last year didn't work like that, I bought a used ski, that was nothing but problems. It was bound to happen, just like when buying a used car-something will break.

I looked at some new Sea Doos yesterday and not sure I can justify spending the 9+k on a ski and then paying the tax and trailer costs... Maybe if it was warm year round, I wouldn't hesitate. So I started looking at used stuff and found a 2004 Sea Doo RXP, 215hp, Riva stage 1 kit, one owner, 65 hours, nice trailer for $4,200. This is a pretty good deal, If I end up going this route I will make sure everything is in order, and have the supercharger rebuilt to avoid any issues.

This morning I looked at a few local places that sell skis online and noticed Sea Doo has a new model, the Sea Doo Spark. It's right under 5k new! Granted it will only reach 50mph, it's rather small and is probably really fun to ride. I've never had a ski that can go over 60MPH when it was new anyways and those were always fun.

Not sure which route to take, buy a new slower ski that has a warranty (only a year) or buy a 04 RXP and basically have the same amount of money tied into it after I have it serviced?

Someone that knows more than me, give me some insight please!

Thanks! :gabe:

04 is the worst year RXP to be looking at. Not only the charger, but the valves are a big issue. 65 hours on 10 year old ski would worry me more than anything because the valve failure is caused when they sit for a long time and rust at the valve stem. That said, if it was my money and I was keeping the ski for a few years I'd get the spark. If you are gonna flip it in the fall get the RXP. The spark will take a big hit in resale.

Pretty much everything Keith said. I looked at a Spark in person, and for a brand new entry level ski they are pretty impressive. I haven't ridden one, it wont be "fast", but they are made from a light weight polytec so I'm assuming you can toss them around a bit. You can get either a 2 seater, or 3 seater and they sip fuel.

Good luck

Tom

04 is the worst year RXP to be looking at. Not only the charger, but the valves are a big issue. 65 hours on 10 year old ski would worry me more than anything because the valve failure is caused when they sit for a long time and rust at the valve stem. That said, if it was my money and I was keeping the ski for a few years I'd get the spark. If you are gonna flip it in the fall get the RXP. The spark will take a big hit in resale.

All of the dealers in the area I've spoken with just mentioned the washer issue with the supercharger, but said they are pretty stout. $4,200 with a trailer with lower hours and one owner is appealing.

Pretty much everything Keith said. I looked at a Spark in person, and for a brand new entry level ski they are pretty impressive. I haven't ridden one, it wont be "fast", but they are made from a light weight polytec so I'm assuming you can toss them around a bit. You can get either a 2 seater, or 3 seater and they sip fuel.

I haven't seen one in person but a friend said it looks like it would fall apart and is very small. He might just be used to the bigger new stuff, I can't see it being smaller than a old XP

Good luck

Tom

Do not get that RXP. Just don't do it. If you must get a Seadoo couch, get the base model 2 seat Spark and reflash the ECU for an instant 20-30 hp bump up to the higher performance model's level.

My advice would be to buy a Superjet or an SXR 800 and really have some fun. Couches are lame unless it's a B1. Going fast in a straight line on the water gets really boring, really quick.

Do not get that RXP. Just don't do it. If you must get a Seadoo couch, get the base model 2 seat Spark and reflash the ECU for an instant 20-30 hp bump up to the higher performance model's level.

My advice would be to buy a Superjet or an SXR 800 and really have some fun. Couches are lame unless it's a B1. Going fast in a straight line on the water gets really boring, really quick.

Why so much hate for the RXP?

I've had a few XP and Waveraiders over the years are really like both of those old buckets. Not a fan of stand ups, as I travel to certain areas by water in the summer.

I bought three '05 RXPs two years ago from the original owner, with various Riva packages, all with around 40 hours on them. If you don't mind rebuilding superchargers, replacing valves, broken timing chains, and troubleshooting leaky intercoolers instead of having fun on the lake, by all means buy the RXP. Also be sure to do some research on changing the oil before doing it the way you have on every other vehicle, it will save you some hassle.

I bought three '05 RXPs two years ago from the original owner, with various Riva packages, all with around 40 hours on them. If you don't mind rebuilding superchargers, replacing valves, broken timing chains, and troubleshooting leaky intercoolers instead of having fun on the lake, by all means buy the RXP. Also be sure to do some research on changing the oil before doing it the way you have on every other vehicle, it will save you some hassle.

Sounds like I should run. I'm going to go check out the Spark this weekend and take it for a ride, just hoping it's not a complete pile.. Not holding my breath though for the price.

Standups aside, What would you suggest in the 5-7k range on something?

Cheers

I like the sparks too and would like to test one out. I've had bad experiences buying used as well. Also I would love a stand up but they seem so rare and expensive that it's more of a pipe dream. I'd have a hard time spending 5k on a 10 year old likely headache. My .02

I like the sparks too and would like to test one out. I've had bad experiences buying used as well. Also I would love a stand up but they seem so rare and expensive that it's more of a pipe dream. I'd have a hard time spending 5k on a 10 year old likely headache. My .02

The cheap ass in me wants to buy something used for a decent deal, hope nothing breaks and resell towards the end of the season and get my money back. But that doesn't always work out. The only downside to the Spark is the 90HP version top speed is only like 48 mph...... That's crawling. A company sells a tune, little under a grand and gives you 109HP but I haven't seen and top speed numbers..

Cruising around for half the day on the Spark seems like it might wear that little motor out quickly.

I would go with the Spark if you want to get a cheap couch. They have been getting great reviews everywhere and are supposedly a lot of fun. With the price they have on them, these things are going to be everywhere this summer if they can meet demand, which means the aftermarket should be very good. The motor is a slightly modified snowmobile motor they have used for years so it should be reliable (for a Seadoo).

Also, while the top speed might not be that extreme, they will be propped low so they should still have pretty good acceleration up to that low top speed.