Replacement Windows

caseyctsv

Getting ready to have some replacement windows installed in my home. My home was built in 1992 and the windows were crap when it was built and are worse now as you can imagine. I have a guy that goes to our church that I trust. He installs Polaris Windows. Any opinions or experience with this company? It is not one I had heard of but I admittedly don't travel in those circles. The online reviews look good.

I used Champion for my siding a few years back. They used sub-contractors to do the work. They did job fine in the end, but they would always show up late and didn't have enough guys doing the work. Busted their time estimate by 3 days.

I called to complain during the work, and spoke to the owner. He was not a pleasant man to deal with. His argument was that I should tell the guys to be there on time and the estimate for completion was wrong.

I told him I didn't hire these guys, I hired Champion.

TL;DR: Don't use Champion

Edit: I forgot to say. I have Champion windows in my house from the previous owner in 1999. Most of the windows will not stay open without some sort of support. I guess the springs inside gave out. I cannot get them covered under warranty because I didn't transfer the warranty within the first month I moved in.

Edited by BigOxley

Odd to hear that about Champion. I used them last year for 5 new windows and a patio door. I couldn't be happier. The guy that did the work was a Champion employee and was top notch. I also got a killer price, too. They have one of the best guarantees in the business and are a nationwide company... :)

I used ferguson windows for my house. They were all custom made because the size of my house. Great experience. They gave me $500 off to display their sign in my yard for a month. It only lasted the weekend before I threw it away :)

We had Pella put in the ones we have now. Installed in 2003 and have been 100% happy. They are great about service. Have had a couple Sashes replaced over the years due to broken seals and fogging, but overall, we're good. They dropped off a dozen or so springs too for our various sizes just in one pops. I've replaced 2 in 11 years.

We had a few windows replaced by APCO. They look ok but they are not high quality. My neighbor also had APCO replace their windows a long time ago and a bunch of them sag and don't close.

My mom just had Rosatti replace all the windows in her house. They look good and are really thick. They were dicks on the scheduling but the windows seem nice. Rosatti was also one of the most expensive. Good luck.

I had Columbus Window Company install new windows in my past house about 7 years ago. Wouldn't recommend. Service was horrible and windows are decent at best, however price was killer and for the house/my needs at the time I can't complain.

Had a horrible experience with Champion windows prior to that.

Debating on whether replacing the windows in my current house is worth it or not. Plan to be here 10 years at least but given my past experiences I'm left feeling like I'm paying a bunch for very little and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good luck and post back what you end up doing for future reference.

My Dad has installed Polaris windows for the last 15+ years. He has had the occasional issue with one here and there but the quality seems to be pretty good. The warranty is good and they have stainless bands compared to the crappy spiral rods that some have to hold the window vertically.

I had Champion windows installed back in 2000. Never really had a problem. My son busted one window.. they replaced it free. Few screens here and there. Also had an issue with two windows falling down. Had the springs replaced free of charge. But then again I never had to transfer the warranty.

I got them back when they had a deal for buy 2 windows get one free. Had 8 double hung windows installed for about $2400.

a really good price is 200-250 per window installed. Remember, the odds are you will not own this house for more than 10 years...new windows will certainly be better than whatever you have. Personally, I would not spend to buy all the bells and whistles. Construction is pretty similar in all of them. A company that backs their warranty is nice...the reality is, you likely won't have much trouble regardless of what you buy. Salespeople will tell you what you want to hear to make you feel good about your purchase.

I need new windows BAD in my new house. Just dropped 41k in rehabbing it, so that is truly one of the last things I want to do. I'd rather wait until a hail storm hits and have my siding replaced (aluminum) and then do the windows.

I have to keep my house at 75* to be bearable. My windows literally feel like they are a fan on windy nights.

Hey OP, what are you leaning too? Interested to know.

I ordered the windows - got a very solid estimate. A guy from my church and his son have a small local business installing windows. He subcontracts for many other window companies but recommends Polaris and would choose Polaris for his own home. Guy seems to be a good dude so we will see.

Windows take 3 weeks to build and he will take 2 days to install after that. I will report back once installed. If he does a nice job he might be a good one to call. I thought the price was more than fair and he definitely has low overhead.

I need new windows BAD in my new house. Just dropped 41k in rehabbing it, so that is truly one of the last things I want to do. I'd rather wait until a hail storm hits and have my siding replaced (aluminum) and then do the windows.

I have to keep my house at 75* to be bearable. My windows literally feel like they are a fan on windy nights.

I was told you want to do windows before siding from a window/siding company because the fit and finish of the siding around the windows will look better. Could be BS, just passing that along.

a really good price is 200-250 per window installed. Remember, the odds are you will not own this house for more than 10 years...new windows will certainly be better than whatever you have. Personally, I would not spend to buy all the bells and whistles. Construction is pretty similar in all of them. A company that backs their warranty is nice...the reality is, you likely won't have much trouble regardless of what you buy. Salespeople will tell you what you want to hear to make you feel good about your purchase.

I hope you are just talking install not including the window. If so then I got a good price.

Maybe you should have them come to your house and give you an estimate. Couldn't hurt, and it would be accurate. :)

Or, maybe I can ask this guy the general price he paid and I can multiply it by 11 windows so that I don't have to waste peoples time when I don't intend on doing it for at least another year.