Remington 700 any good?

hpfiend

Hey all-

I was at walmart the other day and saw one of these on the shelf. 300.00 for a brand new .3006 rifle with scope seemed a lot cheaper than I would expect a rifle of that calibre to sell for.

I tried to find one at cabelas to ask their opinion and instead found a few stainless steel savage xs?? rifles for 349 IIRC.

My dad lives on a farm and a few times recently we have needed something with a bit more punch than the .22LR he has. In one instance a white tail deer and his german shepherd were in a fight- thankfully the deer retreated before I had to try to maim it with the .22. On another occasion there were 3 coyotes spread over the pastures I can only assume in formation to try and surround and attack the dog. I have a shotgun I could put a slug in but I don't think it will be accurate enough at 50-75 yards. My thinking is that if the remington 700 or the savages are good guns then I should be able to pick up one of these or better yet find one used, maybe with a better scope and save a few bucks. I was talking to one fellow who suggested I get a mosin nagant but I looked those up and the unique ammo and their age has me a bit concerned.

Thanks for any help.

As you can tell I am not a gun expert.

Dad got a 770 .270 with some trigger work done and a scope at OVO for ~$300 I believe. Good rifle.

I have had 3 Savage BA's. Can't recommend them enough. Currently have the 93 .22WMR. It's enough for coyotes but def wouldn't try for deer unless it was a defense situation as yours was and I had no other options.

I also have a 12g and 9mm carbine, so I have some options.

I'd say you can't go wrong with any reputable brand. I personally prefer Savage rifles, but YMMV. Hope this helps.

If you're looking for a budget bolt gun, I cannot recommend the Weatherby Vanguard series enough. Mauser action. Great trigger. Light weight. Available in a large range of calibers. And you can beat the living fuck out of them. I've got one in .243 that DESTROYS varmints of any variety.

50-75 yards is well within the range and accuracy of a shotgun slug and the distance that a lot of deer are killed at. I'd be surprised if a coyote would stick around long enough to get hit at that distance though. Usually they are smart enough to not be seen.

thanks for all the replies! I am glad my shotgun would do the trick- I just got some rifled slugs for it the other day I tried at the range.

I was looking for .270 and larger as I heard a lot of states require that size for deer hunting?

Thanks!

Ohio has specific calibers for deer hunting, you can find the info here under deer hunting equipment http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

Not sure if this got approved, but here's some rifle cartridges you might be able to use.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/odnr-division-wildlife-announces-pistol-caliber-rifles-deer-hunting

In summery, bows, muzzle loaders, and shotguns and some larger pistols.

s for all the replies! I am glad my shotgun would do the trick- I just got some rifled slugs for it the other day I tried at the range.

I was looking for .270 and larger as I heard a lot of states require that size for deer hunting?

Thanks!

.270 is the best all around caliber. .243 is just a bit too small for large body deer and definitely too small if you went west to hunt mulies. The bullets range from 90gr-150gr.

.243 goes 60-115

.270 is the best all around caliber. .243 is just a bit too small for large body deer and definitely too small if you went west to hunt mulies. The bullets range from 90gr-150gr.

.243 goes 60-115

One of the reasons I like the 6.8 AR I built it can adequately handle anything I would be hunting in Ohio, I'd like to take it out of state to get a deer with it or do some hog eradication down south.

One of the reasons I like the 6.8 AR I built it can adequately handle anything I would be hunting in Ohio, I'd like to take it out of state to get a deer with it or do some hog eradication down south.

Hogs are growing in SE Ohio. Might not have to go to TX. If we ever see any I may need help. Coyotes are our only foreseeable problem as of now.