Building Code ?s.

Stampede

Ok, here is my story. I'm selling my house, and trying to find something better, which I'm not, but that's another issue. I had my house inspected by a home inspector, found some issues. One of the issues, is the CSST gas line is not bonded. Ok, my problem is, the furnance was installed in 1997, I bought the house in 2002. The International Fuel Gas Code, did not start gas line bonding untill 2003.

Second issue, the house was built in 1957, which had the hot and common wiring, not sure what to call it. At sometime the previous owner made a room in the basement, which has the 3 wiring, hot, common, and ground, and so does the furnance/AC. The complaint is the ground and common wire are on the same buse bar, the inspector says it needs to be a 4 condutor feed, seperating the common and ground wires.

My question is, when does these items need to be up to code, when there is any updating to the eletric panel and furnance?

Cause I'm not doing it, period, but would like to tell the realtor when it needs to be done.

Thanks.

Why tell them anything, just to be nice? If your selling I would wait until their inspector finds issues and these issues are brought up at the negotiating table. Their inspector might find several other things and if your already telling them that updates need done you could be costing yourself a sale or more issues when it comes to negotiating the sale.

Legally you have to disclose any known issues..,........... So you don't know anything. The items were required to be up to code when the renovating was done. It could be as simple as adding a ground bar and moving the grounds there, which would be easy, but I'm not positive.

Legally you have to disclose any known issues..,........... So you don't know anything. The items were required to be up to code when the renovating was done. It could be as simple as adding a ground bar and moving the grounds there, which would be easy, but I'm not positive.

That is what their inspector is saying, the electric needs to be updated to todays codes, but the renovations were done before these new codes came into effect, I don't see why though. Just an FYI, the house is not nob and tube, I also disclosed any known issues, which wasn't much, I fixed all known issues, to my knowledge.

Thanks.

FHA is a pain in the ass. By law you just have to meet the code that was in effect whenever the work was done until you make modifications. FHA will require everything to be up to THEIR code

Hmmmmm the gas bonding is a pretty easy fix if the panel and gasline are both accessible.

The grounding and 3-4 wire thing sounds kind of odd to me..... If it was just a room addition or something and they installed new wiring into the old panel it shouldn't be an issue...... The only time you really have to worry about seperating the neutral and ground wires is if there is a subpanel installed. Then yes it does need to be seperated in the subpanel.

As far as the codes and things go, it's really up to the people doing the loans and all that. Technically anytime you do an improvement that has some sort of a permit pulled the area being worked on has to be brought up to code. But they can sometimes make you do other things to the rest of the house.