Rounded exhaust manifold nut, halp!

mrhobbz

So I've finally got around to dicking with this mustang I've got and am in the process of finishing up a long tube install... I ran all of the top manifold nuts off with a ratchet no problem, the bottom rear-passenger i couldn't break loose due to the limited room to get leverage on a ratchet, so I busted out the impact.

The impact didn't break it loose all, it did was round the nut.

I tried grabbing the stud itself with a stud extractor but there isn't much thread for it to bite onto and on top of that the extractor I've got is too big in diameter to clear the flange for the mid pipe. Any suggestions or anyone willing to help for $?

Get your self a correct sized twist socket, hammer it on, and hope for the nut to move or the stud to break so you can get it off the car. You can get a cheap basic set at most auto parts stores by Irwin, works good, about $20.

Have tried using some heat to help free up the stud or nut ?

I hit it with PB blaster over night, then hit it again with pb blaster and heat, let it sit for 20 minutes and it rounded. Going to get a set of extractor sockets and try them if that doesn't work I'm just going to weld another nut on it

It's probably totaled. Contact Jet Auto, I've heard he can get you a good deal on a new 'stang.

Thanks for that extremely useful information....

Get your self a correct sized twist socket, hammer it on, and hope for the nut to move or the stud to break so you can get it off the car. You can get a cheap basic set at most auto parts stores by Irwin, works good, about $20.

Thanks for the tip, my dad just told me about those sockets so I'm going to give those a try

Blue case, yellow letters...can't tell you how many times my Irwin twist sockets saved me arse. :thumbup::thumbup:

Make sure when you DO get that rounded nut off, you throw it as far as you f**king can and curse the day it screwed with your exhaust project!

Blue case, yellow letters...can't tell you how many times my Irwin twist sockets saved me arse. :thumbup::thumbup:

Make sure when you DO get that rounded nut off, you throw it as far as you f**king can and curse the day it screwed with your exhaust project!

Yup it just saved me big time, picked a set up at autozone this morning. Hammered the correct sized irwin socket on it and stuck a 3ft piece of pipe on the end of my ratchet came right out along with the stud.

Can't believe I didn't know these sockets existed until today, thanks for the help guys!