Recommendations/Advice 4 Modding a BMW 135i

Doc1647545523

A friend moved to Columbus from the East Coast and is interested in finding a good shop in central Ohio to do some modding of his 2011 135i. He's interested in stiffening the suspension a bit, probably new sway bars, camber plates, installing a LSD, oil cooler, bigger intercooler (probably Evolution Racewerks), improving the intake, perhaps some Dinan tuning. No autocross or drag racing planned, he just wants more spirited performance on the street.

He's the sort of guy who really wants it done right, the first time, so I don't want to send him to a place doing this for the first time on this model.

Rich, Andy, Anson, Kale, Sean, other BMW illuminati ..... can you weigh-in on this with some advice?

Many thanks. :)

Edited by Doc

I was thinking AudiOn19s Andy, but your recommendation is well-taken, Farkas. I knew Kale was expert with these, but I didn't realize he had a business. I'll definitely have my friend check with him.

Other thoughts or shops for comparison?

A friend moved to Columbus last year from the East Coast and is interested in finding a good shop in central Ohio to do some modding of his 2011 135i. He's interested in stiffening the suspension a bit, probably new sway bars, camber plates, installing a LSD, oil cooler, bigger intercooler (probably Evolution Racewerks), improving the intake, perhaps some Dinan tuning. No autocross or drag racing planned, he just wants more spirited performance on the street.

He's the sort of guy who really wants it done right, the first time, so I don't want to send him to a place doing this for the first time on this model.

Rich, Andy, Anson, Kale, Sean, other BMW illuminati ..... can you weigh-in on this with some advice?

Many thanks. :)

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

If you'd like, I can PM you my number, and I can answer a lot for questions for your friend. However, in short, FOR A STREET ONLY CAR:

Suspension/Handling:

- Upgrade the front sway bar (M3 OEM bar fits perfectly)

- Upgrade shocks (Koni, Bilstein, etc.)

- Upgrade the tires, these cars beg for traction, even on stock boost

Powertrain:

- Won't need a bigger/supplemental OC for the street, no matter how hard he runs it. Long story short, just trust me on that one. The stock OC is fine for street use.

- LSD are super expensive for 2009.5+ cars because of the factory diff being welded together, try tires first, and then report back. Our cars have an E-Diff, that isn't terrible even with the most aggressive street use. My car has left two smokey, dark black lines of rubber on many a backroad.

- Evolution Racewerks makes GREAT parts for our cars, pricey, but if you have the means...

- As far as tuning, and for street use, you just cannot beat the $$$:Fun ratio afforded by BMS. 2011+ cars have the N55, so take a look at the JB4, and make sure to buy the N55-specific tune, as it is different than the N54-specific one.

- Unlike the N54, the N55 has an MAF sensor, so try to stick with more reputable brands, as the intake has to be designed accordingly. I'll plug BMS again, it's a solid unit.

Useful sites:

http://www.Burgertuning.com/

http://www.N54tech.com/

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/

Also, shameless plug, I try to catalog everything I have done with my car here:

http://jakestumphracing.tumblr.com/

TC Kline

http://www.tcklineracing.com/

4163 Lyman Dr, Hilliard, OH 43026

(614) 771-7744

Came here to post this.I have never heard a bad thing about them. I love that they are a race shop.

As for other shop's; putting on flame suit, Auto Assets in Powell. I've heard plenty of good and bad. They did the work to my 3 series, back when I was Bimmerjoe. They took care of me very well and went far beyond any other shop I have dealt with. They invited and trailered my car to a couple track days. Treated me like a customer who had $50k + in work done, and all I had done was bolt on's and a tune. I've stopped in now and then, and the staff has changed a bit, but that's to be expected over 10 years.

KW coil overs are the most common in the BMW community, but I've heard that the TC Klines are more race oriented. I'll also echo Triple's comments on the LSD. The E-diff is more than sufficient for aggressive street driving.

As far as adding power, your friend won't do wrong with a BMS JB4 and a BMS Intake. BMS also makes an oil cooler thermostat bypass that significantly bumps the efficiency of the stock oil cooler. I've got a 7" VRSF FMIC, and it's by far the best bang/buck out there. They also make nice catless downpipes. Dinan technically is a tuning option for these cars, but it's always the most expensive option with the fewest power gains. Some of their recent N54/N55 tunes have had issues with BMW's latest TCM updates which caused issues with power surging and misfiring.

Edited by JaSSon

KW coil overs are the most common in the BMW community, but I've heard that the TC Klines are more race oriented. I'll also echo Triple's comments on the LSD. The E-diff is more than sufficient for aggressive street driving.

As far as adding power, your friend won't do wrong with a BMS JB4 and a BMS Intake. BMS also makes an oil cooler thermostat bypass that significantly bumps the efficiency of the stock oil cooler. I've got a 7" VRSF FMIC, and it's by far the best bang/buck out there. They also make nice catless downpipes. Dinan technically is a tuning option for these cars, but it's always the most expensive option with the fewest power gains. Some of their recent N54/N55 tunes have had issues with BMW's latest TCM updates which caused issues with power surging and misfiring.

Have you actually tried the OC t-stat bypass? Was curious if it's actually worthwhile. Also, I agree with the Dinan reflashes, or the BMW PPK reflash, pass on them and go with something that actually has dyno numbers to back it up.

Kale does work for TCK..and while their parts are race oriented they build street cars too and a lot of their business is making street cars handle like race cars. With TCK coilovers the customer gets to pick the spring rate that suits their needs best.

I have to give a nod to the Auto Assets guys too. I've had a personal and professional relationship with them for nearly 15 years now. I pride myself on doing 90% of my own mechanical work but when I cannot do a repair or do not have the time to do it myself Auto Assets is where I turn.

Have you actually tried the OC t-stat bypass? Was curious if it's actually worthwhile. Also, I agree with the Dinan reflashes, or the BMW PPK reflash, pass on them and go with something that actually has dyno numbers to back it up.

No, I've got an '07. I'd have to replace my thermostat housing too.

I feel like deleting the thermostat in an oil cooler is a terrible idea.

Not on these cars, they tend to run a bit on the warm side.

I agree with the above comments.

There arent any Dinan dealers in Columbus anymore. We stopped being one a few months ago. You would have to travel to Cincinnati.

Ive had professional and personal dealings with Matt and Chip at AA since 2004. I know not everyone loves them, but as Andy said if I didn't do my own work I would have them do it.