$ 2500 SUV shopping-

mrs.cos

My sister is having a baby- and while her Saturn has lasted through a lot- it's time for a better car.

My dad wants to buy her and car and has budgeted 2500 approximately.

Here are the stipulations. It needs to have a decent crash test rating, it MUST be the big three. No if ands or buts. My dad works for GM and and won't buy anything Japanese/Korean. Please don't get me started on his hypocrisy. It drives me bonkers. Third and final no major flaws. I will be taking whatever car we look at to our mechanic because while she's not destitute, having to fix a car with a major issue will be a serious financial strain for her.

She had a old Jimmy before and loved it so something along those lines is what we are aiming for. She also does not share my love of wagons.

I'm open to suggestions/links. I should only 5' so she need something has an adjustable height just possibly adjustable steering for what

With those requirements everything you will find will be old and worn out and/or badly rusted. Either need a higher price range or different requirements.

Only thing I can suggest is a first gen Dodge Durango, which still isn't a great choice. Might find an old blazer/jimmy but those are all junk at this point. Maybe a 90s Tahoe/Yukon, or 90s expedition. Just keep in mind, there's a reason why these can all be had that cheap. You don't want any of them.

Exploder or Jimmy again? Although I can't imagine either of them having good crash test ratings.

Best idea = Buy old 4-Runner or CRV and put a Dodge badge on it. :D

I really wish this was an option. I tried having a logical discussion with him about this. It's like hitting a brick wall. The goal is to have this car for 2 years. So she has time to save for a better car as she also looks for a better job.

I'd go with a grand cherokee. Nothing else is going to compare in ride, reliability, and comfort. $2500 might be just a little low to get a great one. I miss my `99 and might pick up another soon and see them for around $3500 asking price. Personally I'd get the selectrac 4wd system instead of the quadtrac or similar AWD systems. Much simpler design

so reliability is better, plus if something fails in the front part of the 4wd system you can still run in 2wd till you get it fixed. The whole vehicle is actually very easy/cheap to keep running.

Also I'd get the inline 6 engine. They are bullet proof, been around since the mid `60's, downside is gas mileage still isn't very good, but better than chrysler v8's for sure.

If your interested I know a bunch about the vehicles and different model years, I owned mine from 80,000 to 250,000 and spanked it hard. It handled it great and when I was done the engine was still perfect and used no oil. My thing was needing better gas mileage at the time.

If they decide to look at explorers stay away from the sohc 4.0 unless they can prove the timing chain guides have been replaced. The 4.0 ohv motor is bullet proof from what I hear though. I think Tractor had the best possible suggestion so far though with the inline 6 jeep.

I wouldn't be afraid of a clean Tahoe/Yukon, or a Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada in that price range. It's all about how it's been taken care of and properly maintained, just like any other car. Old and higher mileage doesn't always mean it's worn out junk.

No idea about the crash test ratings though.

So she has time to save for a better car as she also looks for a better job.

More often than not, a $2500 American SUV will do the opposite of allowing you to save. It's just gonna be a money pit.

In this price range, Mick Jagger said it well. "You can't always get what you want." Get a wagon.

• 2 weeks later...
The inline six is a great engine but lots of morons don't realize the cooling system needs repair so they drive around at 210 degrees forever and kill the engine. I don't personally like any Chrysler v8 but that's just an opinion.