Internet Service Providers?

adamgh81

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut cable a couple days ago. Using twc 50 for 74 a month. Seems pretty legit. I dont know if hulu is worth it, but netflix seems legit.

Alot of the content on netflix is out dated. I had it for less than a month before canceling.

I'm in a former Insight area so it's basically still all old Insight stuff but I think the channel bonding with DOCSIS 3.0 (which Insight didn't have when I was with them) helps keep things stable.

I think this is key, and when I lived in Blacklick I had Insight, and the ping was constantly 20-30ms with zero outages, ever. Moved downtown and originally got Time Warner, in a true Time Warner area and it was absolutely atrocious. 100+ ping at all times, if it was even up to begin with.

Just personal experience. Gamer to gamer, I don't blame you for switching one bit. Why some networks have these ridiculous hops and horrendous latency is beyond me, you'd think that online gaming has become such a prevalent thing in today's society that ISPs would ensure their pings were as low as possible, in addition to offering a decent speed.

• 1 month later...
Switched to WOW, thought it sucked, kept going down on their end, didn't get anywhere, tried to switch to Time Warner and their customer service was so bad we didn't even sign up. Been back at AT&T for 6 months without issue. Glad WOW works for so many of you, but over here in Blacklick it wasn't reliable.

Bringing this back from the dead. I want to echo this. I just had WOW service for 4 days and I cancelled and went back to TWC. The internet worked for maybe 10 total hours, HD never had a solid signal. New drop to the house, 2 gateways, new hardware from drop to gateway. None of this worked. They came and buried the new drop today and I got home and nothing worked at all. I called and they kept saying they can't get a signal w i th my gateway. Then they said they can't have anyone out till Monday. I cancelled on the spot.

Bringing this back from the dead. I want to echo this. I just had WOW service for 4 days and I cancelled and went back to TWC. The internet worked for maybe 10 total hours, HD never had a solid signal. New drop to the house, 2 gateways, new hardware from drop to gateway. None of this worked. They came and buried the new drop today and I got home and nothing worked at all. I called and they kept saying they can't get a signal w i th my gateway. Then they said they can't have anyone out till Monday. I cancelled on the spot.

When WOW bought Knology everything started to go downhill. Real shame because they were really solid for a couple years. TWC has been fantastic for me thus far though. Customer service is a joke but that's to be expected with a national company like this and why I only have internet from them and use my own modem.

When WOW bought Knology everything started to go downhill. Real shame because they were really solid for a couple years. TWC has been fantastic for me thus far though. Customer service is a joke but that's to be expected with a national company like this and why I only have internet from them and use my own modem.

See ive never had an issue with their customer service. The only issue we have had in this house, our internet went out on a weekend when my wife was on call. They sent a tech out on a Sunday morning, after we called Saturday Evening.

So basically all I'm gathering from this thread is that everybody's great, until they suck ass, and then you change providers and life is awesome until it breaks, at which point they're also completely incompetent and you change again. Rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

In my area I appear to be limited to Time Warner Cable and CenturyLink DSL. I've been with TWC in the same house since I think 2007. When I first moved in my service was very hit or miss. Since then I've dumped cable tv and just have internet through them. It's gotten better. But without otherwise changing my package, my bill has been creeping up with no explanation. It's gone up about $15-$20 a month over the last couple years.

My only other option is Century Link. Does anyone have any experience with them? Fastest they offer at my house is 10Mbps. I think I have 15Mbps with TWC but I don't think I'm getting those speeds, possibly from the ancient cable modem I still have from them. They offer up to 50Mbps in my area but I don't need that.

So should I bail on TWC and just go to Centurylink? Try to see if TWC will cut my bill, then buy a new modem outright to get rid of the lease fee? I don't really have any other options.

Centurylink used to have a 30 day money back guarantee so you have an opportunity to test it out before the contract starts. I would look into that to make sure it's still available and give it a try. Even though they advertise a comparable upstream speed, Your uploads will almost certainly slow down. They were having problems catching up on the infrastructure maintenance last year so that caused quite a few speed and reliability problems.

• 4 months later...
In my area I appear to be limited to Time Warner Cable and CenturyLink DSL. I've been with TWC in the same house since I think 2007. When I first moved in my service was very hit or miss. Since then I've dumped cable tv and just have internet through them. It's gotten better. But without otherwise changing my package, my bill has been creeping up with no explanation. It's gone up about $15-$20 a month over the last couple years.

My only other option is Century Link. Does anyone have any experience with them? Fastest they offer at my house is 10Mbps. I think I have 15Mbps with TWC but I don't think I'm getting those speeds, possibly from the ancient cable modem I still have from them. They offer up to 50Mbps in my area but I don't need that.

So should I bail on TWC and just go to Centurylink? Try to see if TWC will cut my bill, then buy a new modem outright to get rid of the lease fee? I don't really have any other options.

Bringing this back up. Just got off the phone with TWC. Such horrible customer service. 30 minutes into the call, and still can't bring up my account. WTF!! 50 minutes into the call I had to hang up because she couldn't answer my question.

Just got off the phone with Centry link. They claim 10mg DSL is as fast as 20mg fiber optic, because they have a dedicated line. Hmmm? $39.99 if you contract with them, otherwise $50 a month. 30 day guarantee.

Waiting for a call from U verse.

Bringing this back up. Just got off the phone with TWC. Such horrible customer service. 30 minutes into the call, and still can't bring up my account. WTF!! 50 minutes into the call I had to hang up because she couldn't answer my question.

Just got off the phone with Centry link. They claim 10mg DSL is as fast as 20mg fiber optic, because they have a dedicated line. Hmmm? $39.99 if you contract with them, otherwise $50 a month. 30 day guarantee.

Waiting for a call from U verse.

LOL NO.

That is not how it works. $39.99 for 10mb DSL is a rip. 10mb DSL should be available for under 30 bucks after all hidden and equipment fees. Unfortunately fiber isnt really available for residential in our area yet. I mean, its there, but its expensive as fuck. We have a 20 meg fiber connection at work and its 400 bucks a month. It NEVER fails even when the power goes out and has a million times more bandwidth than any cable or DSL connection.

Some reading on DSL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.5

The data rates can be as high as 24 Mbit/s downstream and up to 1.4 Mbit/s upstream depending on the distance from the DSLAM to the customer's premises.

Some reading on Fiber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber-optic_communication

Terabits/sec

Been a WoW customer for over 10 years. Never looked back.

Customer service is top notch.

Service is top notch and. We have 15/2 connection with them and have 3 computers, tivo, xbox, and Ipad plus two iphones connected at all times. No issues, I can also game online with no issues at those speeds.

How the mighty have fallen.

We received our bill today which was almost $40 higher than it normally is so I gave them a call a bunch of fees had almost doubled and the best they could do was give me $10 off a month we are at a point now where we are deciding whether not to cancel cable.

Our biggest hangups right now are watching the blue jackets Ian and OSU football. Everything else we watch can stream be picked up via Hulu or Netflix or Amazon prime

How the mighty have fallen.

We received our bill today which was almost $40 higher than it normally is so I gave them a call a bunch of fees had almost doubled and the best they could do was give me $10 off a month we are at a point now where we are deciding whether not to cancel cable.

Our biggest hangups right now are watching the blue jackets Ian and OSU football. Everything else we watch can stream be picked up via Hulu or Netflix or Amazon prime

Got a chromecast?

Just got off the phone with ATT, they will not cover my area, even though their website map shows they do. They referred me to Centurylink. Nope Nope Nope. Not happening.

Call TWC back and got a different person. Expressed my pissed offness. Ended up with 30mgbp internet for $49. Not the $35 I wanted, but I'm done with cable and will fight this battle again in 11 months when they try to raise the price.

I switched from TWC to WOW recently and I regret it. TWC was awesome in my house no slow downs and speeds were as advertised 15/1. With WOW it slows down from 7pm-12am every day. My worst speed test was at 9:30PM at 1.5/2Mb/s This all started on day one of the WOW install. I've had 3 techs come out and rewire everything from my house to the pole, and also repair the trunks on the poles in my neighborhood. They spent a whole friday doing it I saw 3 trucks and multiple employees in back yards other than mine. So far I've used 2 different cable modems, bypassed my router all together, and it is still slow at night. Their customer service is worthless for my issue. Why does everyone say they are so awesome? I never had a good phone call. I had to hang up on a few people because I seemed like they were reading a script to troubleshoot the issue. They probably were in their defense. The guys that come out to your house are nice though. The one that rewired my house needs a raise.

I got a promotion now for $20 a month 15/2 speed but I only get that on non peak hours. It is almost worth paying more to have speed at night. Right after coming home from work watching Netflix, Hulu, or Youtube 1080 is a PITA. That is when I really need a "highspeed" internet connection.

WOW sucks in my neighborhood. I would say steer clear based on my current 2 month experience.

I would choose ATT if you're in the front 50% of customers connected to the node in your area. Someone should be able to give you that information if you call them.

I went with WOW. 30 a month for 30mbps and no cable from them. I still use an ethernet cable instead of using WiFi.