Grand Prix karting, fresh start

Mojoe

Today and tomorrow are members pre-opening invite days. Members can bring up to 4 friends with them. Official opening is on Friday, but that's all been posted. Today, the wife and I had to check it out. Now, if you have followed them on Facebook, you know they have been doing a ton of track prep. It is faster. Is the drifting all gone? Well, that would depend on how you drive. In my first session, I could not resist hammering the gas and stabbing the brakes. Plenty of option to drift still. Second session, I settled in a little more and tried to learn the track a bit. Low and behold, I got a respectable time, with noticeable difference from winter sessions, and after track prep. I think my Winter fastest time was 42.079 and that was after 5 lap sessions. Came right in today starting in the same'ish time 42.089.

First session

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/th_57867700-0915-4F15-BF6D-2E203C6B02ED_zpszvvx7pbf.jpg

Second Session

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/th_08A32D05-3753-40DD-8F4B-F9E222D2FAB1_zpsh9jnwxlo.jpg

Make note of my wifes' times in the second session. That is pretty damn good for someone who isn't really into cars, but LOVES these Go Karts. I was able to get my time down to 40.046 And I'm fine with that. Someone will clock off a 37.xxx before much longer. A fastest time was set while we were on the track, by Steve, an employee I have gotten to know. He got the 38.726. However Kent, the track manager, went right out and laid down a 38.5xx I believe in the next session. I would like to see a fastest CR sticky here in the track times. I think this place is going to be keeping us all very competitive.

A couple notable things. The staff/management are awesome. The management is very involved and excited to see you having fun. That just makes it even more enjoyable. They have some newer people, so it will take them a minute to find their grove, but they are adamant about getting you taken care of. If you do not get a pre-opening membership, 5/15 is the last day, you will wish you had. Buy it online now.

Also, they are ready for use to set up our CR track event. It would seem that week nights would be best for this. I'm sure their weekends are going to be far too busy with public traffic. I will talk to them this week to get us on the calender.

Please read this in detail to help you be informed for your visits. You will see, a membership is the way to go.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/th_71519FF6-4C49-41A8-A185-38DFECAB0AF2_zpsbwtc79ir.jpg

Membership link:

http://gpindoor.com/pre-opening-membership-special/

Edited by Mojoe
Add link

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice to put a face to a screen name. :)

As the night went things got much smoother. Things picked up about the 19:20 mark and allowed us to do a couple of sessions back to back that were completely full. Getting the timing down as to when to have everyone line up and get their helmets on and in the cars. Thanks for the kind reviews were trying like hell, that is for sure.

Later in the night Steve went back out and was able to put down a 38.4XX. Like you said it will be a constant challenge to keep shaving off the next tenth of a second.

When I did finally get a chance to run last night being it was only the second time I have ever been on the track I was able to put down at 39.046 and there was still a LOT left. As you said it will not be long before someone is in the 37’s.

You do not have to use them during the members pre opener. When you go in the first time you will get your member card and sign your waiver. The lap sessions are a credit on your card. We used 2 last night and will use the other one, the next time we go back. As a member, you don't have to sit through the safety brief every time. So, that speeds up you checking in, and getting right on the track, if there is a group ready and room for you.

You do not have to use them during the members pre opener. When you go in the first time you will get your member card and sign your waiver. The lap sessions are a credit on your card. We used 2 last night and will use the other one, the next time we go back. As a member, you don't have to sit through the safety brief every time. So, that speeds up you checking in, and getting right on the track, if there is a group ready and room for you.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. You mention you don't have to use them and and then said you used two of them last night. :confused:

I'll rephrase it:

Is the Member PreOpener free for members then? I could go today and save all 3 of my kart sessions for after the actual opening?

I went last night and dragged a friend along. I was very impressed with the scope of the facility; they're definitely "all-in" on this. The track was very well laid out, with a good mix of corners. It was crowded, so we only got 1 session in (after a 90 minute wait). My best time was a 40.5x, I definitely have a lot to learn with these karts. Damn thing wouldn't turn at all unless I was on the throttle and drifting :)

I'm down for any kind of a CR night; I'd also be interested in setting up a recurring league or something.

The pre opener just allows members access to race. It is not free, unless you use your free passes.

Thanks. I gave them a call for the details shortly after posting that last time. That's what I assumed but didn't want to miss the chance if otherwise. Buddy's visiting soon so I think I'll save my freebies till then.

Any details on the off-road kart stuff? Actual mudding and/or rock crawling or some rally/rally-cross type stuff?

I did talk to Aaron about that stuff and he told me tons of fun things. I don't feel it's my place to talk it and create expectation. There are things in the works for an outdoor off road type course. Don't know anything about rock crawling or rally stuff.

I did talk to Aaron about that stuff and he told me tons of fun things. I don't feel it's my place to talk it and create expectation. There are things in the works for an outdoor off road type course. Don't know anything about rock crawling or rally stuff.

I'm assuming due to liabilities it'll simply be a dirt track. Don't worry, I'm not pinning any "theories" or expectations on you. ;) Just enjoying the speculating at this point.

I got in three sessions last night, during the second session I put down a 36.38x. That’s good enough for 2nd on the big board.

Damn, that's fast.

I'm literally working on the banners for the Grand Opening right now. June 14th should be pretty fun there. I'll have the rock climbing wall set up, and some peddle karts for fun challenges.

Thanks guys! Yeah I didn’t realize it while I was running. It wasn’t until I was mobbed as I was getting out of the kart.

Which leads me to the next thing, Aaron just had a huge screen and projector installed on Friday. So now you can see your times while on track. It is right above the lead flagger station. You can see it when you come across the long sweeper.

That sounds awesome!

There's a huge cry to add grip on their facebook page. I hope they don't.

I agree. After racing on a track with high bite, and theirs with less bite, the track with less bite is more fun.

You have to actually drive more on the low bite track and it does not beat you up as much.

I want to know more about this off road stuff they are planning...

Really? I haven’t been to their facebook page yet... Last night the track had TONS of grip. I went from looking like a fool (least to me I did) by braking way too early to now only applying the brake in one spot on the track. Even in that one spot it’s for a micro second just to get the kart around. I’ll have to try not breaking at all and see where it gets me tonight.

And on my lap time, I weight 210lbs and used a random kart that had been run all day long and was able to put up a 36 so the claims there isn’t any grip is unfounded. Now before the grinding I would have agreed but each day the track is getting better and better the more rubber we put down.

I went from running 38’s to 37’s and now in the 36’s, there is grip there you just have to know how to drive.

Really? I haven’t been to their facebook page yet... Last night the track had TONS of grip. I went from looking like a fool (least to me I did) by braking way too early to now only applying the brake in one spot on the track. Even in that one spot it’s for a micro second just to get the kart around. I’ll have to try not breaking at all and see where it gets me tonight.

And on my lap time, I weight 210lbs and used a random kart that had been run all day long and was able to put up a 36 so the claims there isn’t any grip is unfounded. Now before the grinding I would have agreed but each day the track is getting better and better the more rubber we put down.

I went from running 38’s to 37’s and now in the 36’s, there is grip there you just have to know how to drive.

I'd love to have a formula that would give me approximate times if I weighed 50lbs less. At my size, I feel I have to be a perfect driver just to beat a 'normal' sized average driver. Having a weight handicap formula would better let me know how I'm doing in comparison to the average person.

I might be able to figure something out next time I close...

Just thinking out loud here... but I could get one kart take it to the back straight and using the cracks in the cement do a couple of digs with three different drivers all different weights... Then with a stop watch see what the time is from Point A to Point B. It would be rudimentary but I think would be the start/base of giving us an idea as to what to expect…

Thoughts?