Car acting up...

Stretch

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm stumped here. I'll give you a little background. Car is a 2004 Z06.

Wednesday the 7th: Started my car to move it out of my garage before work (detached garage). Started just fine, only moved it about 50 feet to a parking spot in front of my apartment. This was at 9am. Fast forward to 1pm. I go to get in to head to work. Turn the key, nothing. As soon as I turn the key over, all the lights and the stereo go black. As soon as I release the key, everything pops back on. I tried 3 or 4 more times and still nothing.

I pop the hood and check for a loose connection real quick, didn't see anything obvious. Said screw it and tried it one more time. The car started to turn over, would kind of cough around 600 rpms, then shut off. At this point I was out of time and had to go to work so I said screw it. I left it in my parking lot.

1030PM, same night, I get home from work. Figured I'd try again. Car fires right up. No issues, no hesitation, everythings fine. I'm stumped. Pull it into the garage and go to bed.

Saturday the 10th: Was about to head to the bar around 10PM. Walked to the garage, car fired right up. No issues. I let it idle for about 10 minutes. Everything was fine. Drove it to the bar.

2am, same night. Walk out of the bar, turn the key, nothing. Same issue. Turn the key all the way, everything shuts off. I'm pissed because it's 2 am and now my car won't start. Sit there for a few trying to think what it could be.. Decided to try a few more times. Turn the key, car fires up.

This time, it sits about 1000 rpms and violently shakes back and forth for about 20 seconds then goes to its normal idle. Drove it home, haven't touched it since.

Any ideas?? I am totally stumped. I have 0 time to work on this thing any time soon with school and work. I'd pay somebody but that will cost a fortune. Kinda pissed because it's about to be good driving weather.

Really appreciate any help. Sorry for the long story.

Check the battery body ground, definitely sounds like it's something related to the Electrical system. More then likely a ground issue,relay issue, or possibly a failing starter. Edited by acklac7

Pass key? My sons Regal and my old Lumina did the same thing.

Might be the key, or something in the column.

Not sure what exactly a pass key is... :confused:

Check the battery body ground, definitely sounds like it's something related to the Electrical system. More then likely a ground issue,relay issue, or possibly a failing starter.

I was going to start with the battery ground. Next time I could possibly have time is Tuesday. I hope it's something easy

It's a chip on your key. Sometimes it gets dirty/film on it.

I'll give that a shot today.

I would also have the battery tested. I had similar weird issues with my Trans Am and was completely stumped. I took it to the dealer which I never do and it ended up being a bad battery.

Never thought of that. Thanks

+1 for bad battery. Sounds like its not putting out enough juice to keep the radio/lights on while pulling current for the starter.

Yeah, I thought that too but when ever i've had battery issues they seem to be consistent. No harm in getting the battery checked though.

+1 for bad battery. Sounds like its not putting out enough juice to keep the radio/lights on while pulling current for the starter.

Yeah, I thought that too but when ever i've had battery issues they seem to be consistent. No harm in getting the battery checked though.

I'm gonna start there. Going to pull it tuesday and run it down the street to be checked. Will also check the ground on it.

Little update. Had a few minutes to mess with it today. Pulled the battery, cleaned all the terminals, checked the ground, tightened it. Dropped it back in and the car fired right up. Hopefully that's all it was. Going to drive it to work today and see what happens.

Thanks for the input. If it still acts up later I'll take the other advice mentioned.

Little update. Had a few minutes to mess with it today. Pulled the battery, cleaned all the terminals, checked the ground, tightened it. Dropped it back in and the car fired right up. Hopefully that's all it was. Going to drive it to work today and see what happens.

Thanks for the input. If it still acts up later I'll take the other advice mentioned.

Did you ever get the battery checked? Just curious.

Is the battery original?

If not, what brand and how old?

There are a few things I check first, the battery is #1, I have seen many with a bad cell that will do exactly as what your experiencing. #2 is the alternator, #3 is ohming out the cables and verifying the grounds are all good. Past that, you will need to look at the theft system on the car and for potential problems with the PCM and related wiring.