question for LEO

smokin5s

so my wife got a seatbelt ticket today... she was wearing her seat belt but the shoulder belt she had under her arm pit because it was hurting her neck. Can you legally get a ticket for having the shoulder strap go under your armpit instead of over your shoulder?

Thanks!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U would have thought the cop would have been smart enough to realize it's not her ccw when he saw it was a female and I obviously have a male name. My kids were also in the car with her and I was at work so not with her

That's it... well she said the cop walked up to the car yelling at her about where she keeps her ccw but she doesn't have one, I do and her car is in my name

So, if you have a CCW it shows up on there system when they run your plates? What a crock of shit, cops randomly run plates all the time, im sure holding a CCW is a now considered a "trigger" to stop you. All they need is a valid reason to do so, which in this case they found with ease.

And what department issued the ticket? Sounds like OSHP or some pesky Suburb Cop.

So, if you have a CCW it shows up on there system when they run your plates? What a crock of shit, cops randomly run plates all the time, im sure holding a CCW is a now considered a "trigger" to stop you. All they need is a valid reason to do so, which in this case they found with ease.

And what department issued the ticket? Sounds like OSHP or some pesky Suburb Cop.

I've been pulled over several times since getting my CCW, and it's always been met with in a positive light. Take every precaution, car off, interior lights on, hands high on the wheel, and most of all be respectful and courteous. They deal with a lot of shitty people who hate them for some reason. Just being a decent human being and doing everything you can to make him/her at ease is appreciated.

Hell, a couple times I've been told they appreciate me carrying and wish more people did.

Sounds like it will get tossed without issue

My thoughts too.

CCW does show up if the registered owner has one, it is not a valid reason to stop someone. Sounds like the guy was on a fishing expedition and all he could come up with was a bs seat belt ticket. I don't think it will make it past a judge, if the officer even shows up for court.

Take every precaution, car off, interior lights on, hands high on the wheel, and most of all be respectful and courteous. They deal with a lot of shitty people who hate them for some reason. Just being a decent human being and doing everything you can to make him/her at ease is appreciated.

This is exactly how I do it, literally word for word (I take the keys out of the ignition and put on them dash board). 90% of the time things go smooth as a baby's bottom (i've actually consented to a vehicle search twice, and both times they didn't even bother with it). A couple of times I've gotten real assholes though, and even after maintaining my cool copper just kept going off on me. FINALLY he got the picture that I was a decent guy, snapped into "chill mode" and let me go without so much as a warning.

I don't like the fact they can see if you have a CCW or not when they run your plates (all though I certainly understand why it would be beneficial), I can see alot of Cops using it as a profiling tool.

For what?

"Hey, there goes a non felon, GET EM"

:dumb:

Good Point.

I was thinking more along the lines of something to fuck with you over (Im sure alot of people remember that Video from the Dayton area where the Cop was being a DICK about petty shit related to CCW).

Good Point.

I was thinking more along the lines of something to fuck with you over (Im sure alot of people remember that Video from the Dayton area where the Cop was being a DICK about petty shit related to CCW).

I also saw on 1000 ways to die, that a man died from a meteorite through the chest. I'm not avoiding going outdoors and wearing titanium shields just in case.

Sure that's it? The seatbelt law in Ohio is a 'secondary' offense, so you can't actually be pulled over just for it. If he didn't say anything else, then it would be an unlawful stop.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

Correct.

She had to have been pulled over for something that was wrong or she did. Can only ticket a secondary, not make a stop for it.

Seeing a CCW in the system isnt a bad thing. Makes cops aware that they MAY have it with them so approach with caution but then again most cops know that law abiding citizens carry or they wouldnt be allowed to.

Sounds like she was stopped for another violation and since she was wearing the SB improperly (which is illegal technically) the officer gave her a break on the original violation and cited her only for the cheaper non-moving violation.

my wife said there's no way that they could have ran her plates until she was already pulled over. she said he did a u-turn got behind another truck, turned on his lights and then pulled her over. The ticket is also for $125 dollars and it says it's Delaware Court but looking on that site, it says 30 dollars is maximum ticket fee... so what gives?

Greg, I don't think that her ticket is cheaper... last speeding ticket I got was like 89 dollars or something... this is $125

my wife said there's no way that they could have ran her plates until she was already pulled over. she said he did a u-turn got behind another truck, turned on his lights and then pulled her over. The ticket is also for $125 dollars and it says it's Delaware Court but looking on that site, it says 30 dollars is maximum ticket fee... so what gives?

Greg, I don't think that her ticket is cheaper... last speeding ticket I got was like 89 dollars or something... this is $125

All counties are different and typically the moving violations are more plus no points. Why was she pulled over? The amount is fine and court costs so i assume $95 court costs.

I've been pulled over several times since getting my CCW, and it's always been met with in a positive light. Take every precaution, car off, interior lights on, hands high on the wheel, and most of all be respectful and courteous. They deal with a lot of shitty people who hate them for some reason. Just being a decent human being and doing everything you can to make him/her at ease is appreciated.

Hell, a couple times I've been told they appreciate me carrying and wish more people did.

This. Handle it with a good attitude and you'll receive the same demeanor in return.

Good Point.

You're paranoid bro.

Although I know for a while that some of the in car computers were alerting CHLs the same exact way they alert for active warrants and it would get the cop's adrenaline going. I know Johnstown's still does.

Probably stopped her for speed. Many departments have vehicles with LPRs (license plate readers) on them. Automatically runs every plate through the computer that passes it, opposite direction or not.

As far as the CCW being a "target", no.. Just no. I love seeing people with Ccws. They're always polite and I appreciate the fact that they go through the effort to legally conceal a firearm. I will never bother a CCW holder unless I absolutely have to and every other LEO I know is the same way.