R12 charge or possibly convert to R134a?

bucd

Anyone here can charge old R12 freon?

If not, anyone can convert this over to R134a?

Mine is blowing cool, not cold. Was thinking maybe charge it up once and see how it does. If not, maybe converting. I know some of these older hondas/acuras once converted, compressor fails soon after. So would like to avoid that if i can.

thanks,

oh..this is for a 1987 Acura Integra.

-D

Well you're between a rock and a hard place, you can't buy R12 anymore so unless someone happens to have some you're shit out of luck. An old compressor may or may not have issues once converted so thats just a risk you're going to have to take. You'll also have to find someone with the equipment to recover what R12 is left in your system, unless it's empty. I don't know off hand who has this equipment anymore and I've never had to change one over, I started into working on cars after most of this stuff ran its course.

Be prepared to pay possibly $100 an ounce. I think I know a shop that can still do the r12 for you. Ill check and get back to you. R12 is much colder than 134 though. Can also check on conversion kits as most can be changed over.

Paynes Service in Clintonville may still have R12 and doubt they would rape you too bad. They also have the equipment to evacuate the R12 and can convert it for you. Talk to Jeff at 614.267.7947 and tell him Mark Black sent you.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Will check out the conversions. Just worried about what i read about converting and having the compressor die soon after.

-D

This may be stupid, but can I put R12 in car that currently run R134?

Hell no. Pretty sure it's actually illegal to jump backward to R12. EPA would crucify any shop that would allow it, I imagine.

Ok..looks like i may have tracked down a can of R12....anyone here have the recharge hose i can use just to try and fill it up? Before i go order one off ebay.

thanks!

-D

Ok..looks like i may have tracked down a can of R12....anyone here have the recharge hose i can use just to try and fill it up? Before i go order one off ebay.

thanks!

-D

I'd pull a vaccum on it and check for leaks before I put in a can of R12. Otherwise you most likely are wasting a can and it's just going to disappear if you don't find out the reason there is not any refrigerant in it in the first place.

I'd pull a vaccum on it and check for leaks before I put in a can of R12. Otherwise you most likely are wasting a can and it's just going to disappear if you don't find out the reason there is not any refrigerant in it in the first place.

Honestly, i was going to put one can in there. If it doesn't work (as in leaks) i probably hold off on doing anything to it as it's going to cost too much.

This is the cheapest option for now.

thanks for the suggestion though, i hear what you are saying...but getting it testing out will cost me alot more then just putting in a can.

-D

Just an FYI the costs on R134a are skyrocketing right now so get it while you can if you are in need. At the moment the consumer grade stuff is still locked in price wise however the commercial canisters just went up about 40% over night..Department of Commerce just put the smackdown on cheap import of it.