Instructor killed at Hyperfest

greg1647545532

Instructor dies in raceway crash at Summit Point

An instructor at Summit Point Motorsports Park in Jefferson County, W.Va., died over the weekend when a car on the track careened off a curve.

The instructor was a passenger in a 2006 Pontiac GTO driven by someone Saturday as part of the HyperFest event, according to Sgt. Robert Sell of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.

I'm withholding my commentary until more information emerges. But I did find this:

motomoron wrote: Also - I heard reports of "spectators" lobbing cans of beer off the bridge are cars on track, during a race.

That did actually happen. In fact I was racing my Spec Miata in the group when it happened on the last lap..... We all got red flagged (for a massive accident right at the bridge directly behind me......) right as I passed start/finish and I stopped the car, jumped out and ran to the corner worker bucket in turn 1 to say what happened, they handled it from there.....

I had a friend there, he wanted me to go but I didn't want to deal with the Hyperfest crowd.

This is very sad news.

Yes, there was a DE on the Jefferson circuit - 1 classroom session and 1 track session (15-20 minutes) for $50. I was planning on doing a track day on that circuit in September, but after learning of the lack of guard rails, there's no way.

Apparently there was also a wreck on the Main circuit where a Miata went so far into the woods nobody could see it. I don't know how that happens either; I've never driven the Main circuit there.

beyond that...there's at least one animal incident on the track every weekend there...generally they are smaller animals with minimal issues to the cars however there have been 2 or 3 incidents involving deer and cars on the track that I can remember which is enough to keep me away.

**fixed video**

Edited by AudiOn19s

May he R.I.P. Based on this photo he didn't have a chance...Doubt even a full cage would have made things better. Side impact with a wall and let the whole side of the car take the blow maybe...when you impale a car like that with a tree....

http://www.your4state.com/media/lib/180/a/b/b/abb54fc5-7804-4944-9847-a259b3168c97/Original.jpg

May he R.I.P. Based on this photo he didn't have a chance...Doubt even a full cage would have made things better. Side impact with a wall and let the whole side of the car take the blow maybe...when you impale a car like that with a tree....

http://www.your4state.com/media/lib/180/a/b/b/abb54fc5-7804-4944-9847-a259b3168c97/Original.jpg

Wow....

A full chassis car *might* have done better, but even then it would have been touch and go.

Here's some on-track footage with Mike Skeen in a GT3. No armco or tire barriers at corner exits and other spots on the track is unacceptable. I'm sure if a guard rail were there this would have been a different story altogether. This track will need to have a good look at it's barriers before ALOT of people will set foot on this track again.

Alot of these guys at Hyper fest are novices too, so they don't know any better when they come to a track for the first time.

Really sad....