starting running problem with a Jeep 4.0

Skinner

Ok have been having intermintit issues with the Jeep it will on occasion sputter will of in gear while stopped it also has died on me a couple times as well while driving at low speed (45 mph or less). It only seem to do this once it warms up but have had more of a issue the last couple days with it being hot out. Also it once warmed up it is slow to turn over sometimes. Also the Jeep has 157k miles.

So for I have

done a tune-up (plugs wires cap rotor)

had batter and alt tested ( tested fine)

tested the Crank position sensor (tested fine)

checked and clean all the ground and power wire connections.

checked the distributor shaft for play

I does not throw a code or check engine light and I am stumped it could be the camshaft position sensor but I inspected that when I checked the distributor shaft for play it it looked OK visually.

Kinda stumped at this point.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the fuel pump is shot. Gets hot and quits.

Personally I dont think its the pump as when it dies. When you turn the key off and on again the pump will prime.so even if the pump was weak it would still have pressure for a couple of secs to fire up run then die. But it doesnt even do that.

One more guess, when I had the same issues with the same vehicle, I thought another pump went bad, but it ended up being a crank position sensor.

Changed it in the driveway, not to bad with swivel extensions.

Maybe look it up, hope it helps.

One more guess, when I had the same issues with the same vehicle, I thought another pump went bad, but it ended up being a crank position sensor.

Changed it in the driveway, not to bad with swivel extensions.

Maybe look it up, hope it helps.

replaced it a year or so ago. I tested this one and its testing fine. When this first started that was my thought too.

When it dies you should check to see if you have spark. That will help narrow down the issue

Easiest way to tell whats wrong is find out if you have spark or fuel when it dies... So when it dies and wont start find out if it has spark (easiest) Or find out if you have fuel pressure..

My guess is a Crank Position sensor or wiring.

It was the crank position sensor even thou it was testing ok with a volt meter when in the diag machine at the shop they were getting a no reference from it. Replace it and good to go. Also had to replace the starter as it died as well.

It was the crank position sensor even thou it was testing ok with a volt meter when in the diag machine at the shop they were getting a no reference from it. Replace it and good to go. Also had to replace the starter as it died as well.

Score!! Glad you got it figured out man.