Installing an OS via flash drive?

Browning

Tonight I picked up an HP mini 110 from an older couple for $15. It has the Boot MGR missing error and when I run the HDD test in BIOS is passes every time. Any chance of a HDD passing the test but still being bad? My thoughts now are the OS install is fucked and needs a fresh install. My only problem with that is I have no experience with making a bootable usb nor have to install an OS this way.

From googling it appears this little bastard came with XP Home, even though the couple said it had Vista installed. If true, this would explain why I can;t get into any recovery mode at all, right?

I would like to download an XP copy and see if I can get this HDD to let me install it. Can any of you fine folks walk me through this like I am 5? :)

I used a program last year that worked well called Rufus. It allowed me to "burn" an ISO file to a flash drive and then install the OS from the flash drive. I would not recommend going back to XP as Microsoft has cut off all support (I don't think you can even download the old updates any more). If Vista ran on it, then Windows 7 might be an option, but I would check to make sure all the hardware is supported in Windows 7.

If you are not tied to Microsoft for anything have you thought about using Linux on it?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=html&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&pbPage=Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You can use an .ISO file of any Windows OS you prefer with that utility. The instructions don't change any.

I used a program last year that worked well called Rufus. It allowed me to "burn" an ISO file to a flash drive and then install the OS from the flash drive. I would not recommend going back to XP as Microsoft has cut off all support (I don't think you can even download the old updates any more). If Vista ran on it, then Windows 7 might be an option, but I would check to make sure all the hardware is supported in Windows 7.

If you are not tied to Microsoft for anything have you thought about using Linux on it?

Thank you guys. I am not sure I can get windows 7 on it with only 1GB of RAM? I don't plan on using this. This was bought with the intention of letting the kids use it for youtube or whatever else. The screen is far too small for me to every enjoy using something like this.

I am going to go over those links now and see if I can get it to work. I am hoping this HDD is still good.

Thank you guys. I am not sure I can get windows 7 on it with only 1GB of RAM? I don't plan on using this. This was bought with the intention of letting the kids use it for youtube or whatever else. The screen is far too small for me to every enjoy using something like this.

I am going to go over those links now and see if I can get it to work. I am hoping this HDD is still good.

Then replace the ram with a 2-4GB SODIMM and use windows 8.1 (with Classic Shell). Its a little more resource friendly. A key can be purchased from the Reddit software swap for $10.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/comments/2849h1/h_windows_7_8_81_pro_server_2003_2008_2012_r2/

specs said 1GBmax

I don't have one, but you do. Look at the back. See if you can access the RAM. If it's a regular SODIMM slot you can upgrade it. a quick Google showed plenty of 2gb ddr2 modules that claimed compatibility with the Mini 110.

Then replace the ram with a 2-4GB SODIMM and use windows 8.1 (with Classic Shell). Its a little more resource friendly. A key can be purchased from the Reddit software swap for $10.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/comments/2849h1/h_windows_7_8_81_pro_server_2003_2008_2012_r2/

Holy shit, if that is legit than I am putting 8.1 on everything I own. We have a couple of Core 2 Duo small form factor PC's we use as HTPC's that could benefit from a slight performance boost and I have been wanting to take advantage of HSA on my main computer.