Deal Alert: Trijicon SRS01 red dot sight

BigOxley

• 2 weeks later...
What's the difference between that and a $35 rds

Trijicon makes stuff that works, works as advertised, stays accurate and can take a beating.

A $35 one might last a couple range trips before breaking. Breaking could either be from recoil of the gun, or you smashing it in frustration for not being able to get accurate groups. Or you can't see the dot because it's too dim. Or the flip up caps don't stay down in place. Or it fell off. Or the glass is hazy. Etc.

Not Brian,

As far as red dots go on 223/556 ar15's. Most 100 dollar red dots won't get killed by recoil. But, to be safe, I think most people try and steer you to something like an aimpoint pro or a baseline eotech for 350-400.

I personally have had great luck with a 150 dollar vortex strikefire, and eotech xps2 (400), and an aimpoint pro (375.00). I'd say the eotech works the best, then the vortex, and lastly the aimpoint. The vortex seems to be a cheap copy of the aimpoint, but target acquisition is easier on the vortex. But, apparently the aimpoint can take a big beating... And it's said that the vortex is strong... But not as strong.

And then (finally) there are the 1000+ club which include some of the trijicon acogs, Elcans (2-3k), and 1-4x offerings from companies like Schmidt & bender. But these are all out of my price range based on necessity. I have zero experience with them.

You also have to be careful of how good a "deal" actually is. The OP posted a 1200 dollar red dot that was on sale for 500. You do have to realize that these are always "on sale" for 700.00. So it's really only like you are getting 200 off.

To add to what Bob has said, the visibility of the dot is also a factor. You might be able to see the dot indoors, but go outside on a sunny day, and the dot is washed out. When I was buying one last week, I asked t take a few outside to see the dot in daylight. They were fine with that and went outside with me.

To add to what Bob has said, the visibility of the dot is also a factor. You might be able to see the dot indoors, but go outside on a sunny day, and the dot is washed out. When I was buying one last week, I asked t take a few outside to see the dot in daylight. They were fine with that and went outside with me.

Yes, that's the main difference between the aimpoint and the vortex. The vortex had a more intense dot. It's slightly larger ( and I guess blurry-ER) which makes it easy to see when shouldering the rifle. The aimpoint is small and precise. ( which I'm sure is what both companies were going for ), it just takes a sec to find it.

A huge benefit to the more expensive red dot's, namely Aimpoint, is battery life. Some of their models can be left on for ~8 years on a AA battery..

Many of the cheaper dots may last 1000 hours.

A huge benefit to the more expensive red dot's, namely Aimpoint, is battery life. Some of their models can be left on for ~8 years on a AA battery..

Many of the cheaper dots may last 1000 hours.

That's an impressive point to make, its 3 years on setting 7 of 10. But, its only a month at "full blast" (highest setting).

I have the 2 MOA Aimpoint PRO and the dot is right there, crispy and easy to find when shouldering the rifle. I could only imagine the 4moa dot is even easier.

It's extremely light and durable.

The highest brightness setting is to high in sunny outdoor conditions for my liking so the adjust-ability is there for all users.

Slim profile on these types of optics allow easy 2 eye open shooting as well and the glass is very crisp and clear to look through. When going 2 eye open you don't even really notice the profile of the optic, just a dot floating on your point of impact.

The battery life of the Aimpoint PRO also sets it apart from others.

I have the 2 MOA Aimpoint PRO and the dot is right there, crispy and easy to find when shouldering the rifle. I could only imagine the 4moa dot is even easier.

It's extremely light and durable.

The highest brightness setting is to high in sunny outdoor conditions for my liking so the adjust-ability is there for all users.

Slim profile on these types of optics allow easy 2 eye open shooting as well and the glass is very crisp and clear to look through. When going 2 eye open you don't even really notice the profile of the optic, just a dot floating on your point of impact.

The battery life of the Aimpoint PRO also sets it apart from others.

Aimpoint pro has a great battery life, but the M4/M4S has it beat, but also 2x the price.. lol But the most important part IMO is that an Aimpoint can go through hell and back and still function properly and hold 0. Same can't be said for the cheaper end optics. My Aimpoint pro has a battery life of 30,000 hrs which is 3 years on setting 7. Highest brightness setting is 9. My Aimpoint Comp M4s has a battery life of 80,000 hours/8 years if left on. My Vortex Sparc has the auto shut down feature which turns off the optic in 5 hours, but on highest setting, the battery life is 120hrs. 3500hrs on the dimmest.

BTW E, it looks good. Now it just needs a supressor. :)

I took a cue and bought a new battery for my Aimpoint PRO. The dot is definitely brighter with the new battery (weird, huh :))

As state earlier, I was having trouble seeing the dot in sunny conditions on Saturday at the Delaware range. I think I will be GTG with this new battery.

Aimpoint pro has a great battery life, but the M4/M4S has it beat, but also 2x the price.. lol But the most important part IMO is that an Aimpoint can go through hell and back and still function properly and hold 0. Same can't be said for the cheaper end optics. My Aimpoint pro has a battery life of 30,000 hrs which is 3 years on setting 7. Highest brightness setting is 9. My Aimpoint Comp M4s has a battery life of 80,000 hours/8 years if left on. My Vortex Sparc has the auto shut down feature which turns off the optic in 5 hours, but on highest setting, the battery life is 120hrs. 3500hrs on the dimmest.

BTW E, it looks good. Now it just needs a supressor. :)

They also say its (Aimpoint PRO) less than a month of life if left on "9".

Sidebar - Frank, do your aimpoint's go thru "hell and back" when you are out "operating"?

They also say its (Aimpoint PRO) less than a month of life if left on "9".

Sidebar - Frank, do your aimpoint's go thru "hell and back" when you are out "operating"?

Hell yeah, all day every day!!! But you will never know when S will HTF.

• 2 weeks later...