welding questions

wnaplay1647545503

I need to do some patching on the floor of the plymouth. I have access to a nice mig welder but it would require either dealing with someone elses garage and a time frame or wiring my garage for 220v to use here. In my research I discovered the flux core welder that is fairly cheap for a used unit especially since it doesnt require gas and all the ones I have seen are readily 110v. What are the downsides of the flux core welder?

From my non-professional view, my Harbor Freight 170amp, 220v flux-core is a great welder for sheet metal work, but you need to dial the power and wire feed down a lot: flux core tends to run hotter than MIG wire/gas setup. Not sure if the 110v would be much lighter and easier to control...

Also, make sure that you get good-quality wire. After reading a lot of reviews, I bought my HF welder and literally threw the flux-core that came in the box deep in a drawer...picked up some Lincoln-Electric wire from the first go. Much less splatter.

I have a 110v flux that I have welded body panels with a couple of times. Don't even try to run a bead, brush the slag of the weld often, and take it slow so you don't warp the steel too much. Works pretty well. With gas works better.

Use gas if possible, flux core is dirty and will require a ton of clean up after. As mentioned, it'll be pretty much impossible to do anything else but stitch weld the panel versus running a straight bead. Tack, move, and repeat.

I use a Lincoln 140HD I picked up from Home Depot. I'm not that good, but I've been able to weld 16ga sheet metal with it just fine. I don't have the gas equipment for it and running good quality wire helps a lot. I just run a grinder over the whole area when finished to remove debris. No big deal especially after your finished and painted though I've sure there are better way, LOL.

flux wire with no gas will turn out horribly. you wont be happy. defiantly use gas.

if you are looking for a gas wire mig welder that runs on 110V I have one for sale pretty cheap.

Flux core doesn't need gas that's the whole purpose.

Use gas if possible, flux core is dirty and will require a ton of clean up after. As mentioned, it'll be pretty much impossible to do anything else but stitch weld the panel versus running a straight bead. Tack, move, and repeat.

False

School me Josh...are you saying flux core is not dirty or that it is possible to run a nice bead on body panels without warping or burning through? If it's about running a bead, can you tell me how? Could be my cheap equipment, but I have had no such luck, and would really appreciate a tip.

School me Josh...are you saying flux core is not dirty or that it is possible to run a nice bead on body panels without warping or burning through? If it's about running a bead, can you tell me how? Could be my cheap equipment, but I have had no such luck, and would really appreciate a tip.

Flux core isn't more likely to warp body panels than any other form of welding. The warping will come from excess heat. It is possible to run a nice bead good equipment or 110v Eastwood mig/flux core welder. You mentioned flux core being dirty, the dirt or "flux" is how the wire is shielding the gas, that's why no c25 or 90/10 is required. Obviously just like stick welding the flux will need cleaned after the weld. Most people don't clean the flux or claim its dirty. Like it said previously if your having trouble welding flux you probably don't have enough experience mig/flux welding. You should be able to hear and see what you need to adjust to dial it in.

All true. Actually I didn't say it was dirty, just that you need to brush away the flux/slag often. I had much better luck in the past with a good Miller mig with regard to burn thru. My current setup is a Campbell Hausfeld from tractor supply with only 4 current settings. I can't seem to turn it down low enough to keep the heat in line. Would it have anything to do with the size difference between the flux core at .030 and mig wire at .023? Or do you think my welder just doesn't have enough adjustment for heat range? Or...??? As I said, I am not the most experienced welder, but I would like to be better.

All true. Actually I didn't say it was dirty, just that you need to brush away the flux/slag often. I had much better luck in the past with a good Miller mig with regard to burn thru. My current setup is a Campbell Hausfeld from tractor supply with only 4 current settings. I can't seem to turn it down low enough to keep the heat in line. Would it have anything to do with the size difference between the flux core at .030 and mig wire at .023? Or do you think my welder just doesn't have enough adjustment for heat range? Or...??? As I said, I am not the most experienced welder, but I would like to be better.

The wire should be the same size, only have .007 of flux coating.

And what are you trying to weld? .023 wire is pretty small.

thinner the wire, the better. 110 will be better. i have welded derby cars up. my old welder done both 110 and 220. You will def want 110. just easier to use. i used .030 to .035 when i welded sheet metal although the .035 is starting to get a little thick. the .030 was perfect. rolls of it can be picked up up at tractor supply cheap.

me personally, if i had a choice between the two, i would pick argon. cleaner welds. lower heat etc..

thinner the wire, the better. 110 will be better. i have welded derby cars up. my old welder done both 110 and 220. You will def want 110. just easier to use. i used .030 to .035 when i welded sheet metal although the .035 is starting to get a little thick. the .030 was perfect. rolls of it can be picked up up at tractor supply cheap.

me personally, if i had a choice between the two, i would pick argon. cleaner welds. lower heat etc..

You do understand all mig welding is an argon carbon dioxide blend, unless you're using a tri mix gas. 110 is not better for anything. And the topic is about flux core not mig.

well maybe i misunderstood what the OP is asking. the whole purpose of flux core is so you dont use gas......... and yes 110 does have advantages. if you say it doesnt, well i dont know what to tell you other than i think your wrong. i kind of took it that opinions were welcomed? but since your the welding expert why dont you drive over and teach him and he dont have to have a thread? problem solved.

brother i dont claim to be no expert in anything. im self taught. but ive welded sheet metal on cars with 220 and blew through it even on the lowest settings. put the 110 on, and smooth as butter. is what it is. im not here to compare e dick with anyone. i dont know alot, but what i do know i know alot of.

The wire should be the same size, only have .007 of flux coating.

And what are you trying to weld? .023 wire is pretty small.

Right now not trying to weld anything. Just carrying on the conversation and trying to learn. OP was asking about sheet metal, so I was trying to stick with that subject.

• 2 weeks later...
Right place right time yielded me an almost free Lincoln handy mig. It's missing the regulator and has no gas tank. Do you always use gas when using a welder like this even if tacking? Where would I pick up and what kind of regulator would I use and where do I pickup gas and a tank?

if you don't use gas on that, even when tacking, the weld will most likely not get good penetration because of porosity, and will crack and break.

look for a weld store close by to you, they sell the regulators and gas there.

You can run flux core. Then that won't be in issue.