Cross country move

Sturg1647545502

Most likely moving out to boulder Co. In the next few months. Other than Pods, renting a Uhaul or paying a moving company are there any options I'm missing? Excluding 2 cars everything will fit in a 24' moving truck.

How about moving via commerical truck or train? I assume air transport isnt a feasible option

Just finished moving to SC. I had a couple guys help with getting the larger stuff in/out of a 26' Penske truck, but OMG it probably would have been totally worth it to just hire it done and its really not that expensive, but I'm a cheap ass.

Out of our house the 26' truck was completely full to the point you couldn't get anything else in it and that was just my wife and kids stuff plus standard furniture and I actually know how to arrange stuff to maximize space. Took me hours of moving stuff around to get it all to fit. My stuff all went into my military truck 8x12 bed and it was mostly full.

Just finished moving to SC. I had a couple guys help with getting the larger stuff in/out of a 26' Penske truck, but OMG it probably would have been totally worth it to just hire it done and its really not that expensive, but I'm a cheap ass.

Out of our house the 26' truck was completely full to the point you couldn't get anything else in it and that was just my wife and kids stuff plus standard furniture and I actually know how to arrange stuff to maximize space. Took me hours of moving stuff around to get it all to fit. My stuff all went into my military truck 8x12 bed and it was mostly full.

I am jealous! We just got back from Myrtle Beach last night and I've been trying to convince the wife to move to SC.... so far she's not biting and she loves beaches, etc...

I assume you did the driving yourself?

Correct. A buddy and I did all the loading/driving/unloading. Wouldn't want to do it regularly but compared to some of the quotes we got to have it done or have it at least delivered I'd do it again without question. Once every 7-10 years isn't bad and that's been our frequency so far.

Correct. A buddy and I did all the loading/driving/unloading. Wouldn't want to do it regularly but compared to some of the quotes we got to have it done or have it at least delivered I'd do it again without question. Once every 7-10 years isn't bad and that's been our frequency so far.

Can you give me an idea what some of the quotes were for you?

Moving to Houston in the next month, REALLY don't want to drive all the way down there...

It is cheaper if you rent a uhaul and do it yourself. You can get a large truck and add a trailer to it for your car. Have another friend drive out the 2nd car and fly home. It isn't as hard as you think it is just time consuming. If I can do PHX to CMH in 2 days you can make it to Boulder.

I am jealous! We just got back from Myrtle Beach last night and I've been trying to convince the wife to move to SC.... so far she's not biting and she loves beaches, etc...

Hehe, yeah its great. I've been here a month now and so far only 1 cloudy day and it still didn't rain. Just evening storms which go away in 10minutes. Weather is perfect and I woke up sunday and almost drove to Mrytle Beach, just 3hrs for me, but decided to maybe do it in a couple weeks and make it an overnight trip.

I guess it depends how many times you've moved across country and your thoughts on the process. It's much cheaper to move yourself and honestly for peace of mind I'd do it every time.

Between Military/Government moves and self moves, I don't know how many times they have lost or broken stuff and then you are pretty much screwed. I have yet to lose or break any of my own stuff moving but again, no one takes care of your stuff like you do.. ;)

Can you give me an idea what some of the quotes were for you?

Moving to Houston in the next month, REALLY don't want to drive all the way down there...

What part?

Ive got a buddy who is a franchisee for a few Uhaul/ car rental places, so that is definitely an attractive option. What I'm also considering is a pod type deal. The reason being is it doesn't look like once we move out there well have time for a summer vacation. So a pod would allow us to take a leisurely cross country trip with us ending in Boulder.

The only snafu, besides cost of pods vs uhaul, is the best way to get our 2nd car out there. As it currently sits we have the Sequoia and will sell our two "ohio DD's" prior to leaving. The reality im.facing is that any savings I get by buying a AWD vehicle ( audi avant,subaru, volvo) in the mid west is going to be negated when it comes time to transport it westward :/

An option that has crossed my mind is pack a uhaul with the yet to be purchased 2nd CO vehicle in tow & dive it myself, find some helping hands ( standing outside Lowe's) to assist with unloading it, fly back to CMH and then take the leisurely cross country trip with wife & dog in the sequoia. But the extra $ (in additional fuel hauling vehicle #2 & one way fight back to CMH) would probably be a wash for the pod option. Plus that drive, by myself, in an uncomfortable ass uhaul would blow muy grande dong.

Get rid of everything and just ship the car. Much easier :)

Believe me, its been considered, especially after packing all our shit up and hauling it into a 2nd floor sublet & knowing well have to do it all over in a few months...oh how cathartic it would be. Those Cubans with a few gallons of fresh water & a Styrofoam raft might be on to something.

Only other option is to hire a company to ship your vehicles to the new home.

If it was me I would keep a car here in columbus with a friend and tow the other one plus belongings. Take a vacation on the way and stay at a camp ground. Drive your car around and keep the truck at the campsite. Go to the new home unpack and take your time. Come back to columbus later with a one way ticket and drive "home".

North of Houston, The Woodlands. You familiar?

We use to live there, now we live just north in Conroe by the Lake!

Prices are sky rocketing if you haven't already bought? Are you part of the new Exxon compound or something else?

I moved myself from Columbus to SLC. Fit a 2br apartment in a 17' Uhaul and towed my Tacoma behind on a flatbed trailer. It cost me around $1600 for the truck and trailer and another $800 in gas. Personally, if I had the money I would have just got a POD, packed it myself, and had it shipped but they wanted over three grand and screw that.

It sucked so much ass driving that Uhaul for two days, hauling the Tacoma up and down those steep grades with only the gravity brakes on the trailer. Super sketch but I would probably do it again just to get out of Ohio. Good luck with whatever you choose, Boulder is beautiful!

I moved myself from Columbus to SLC. Fit a 2br apartment in a 17' Uhaul and towed my Tacoma behind on a flatbed trailer. It cost me around $1600 for the truck and trailer and another $800 in gas. Personally, if I had the money I would have just got a POD, packed it myself, and had it shipped but they wanted over three grand and screw that.

It sucked so much ass driving that Uhaul for two days, hauling the Tacoma up and down those steep grades with only the gravity brakes on the trailer. Super sketch but I would probably do it again just to get out of Ohio. Good luck with whatever you choose, Boulder is beautiful!

Shannon! You convert to mormonism yet and get yourself a couple wives?

In all seriousness, I need to get my butt up there to visit and hike with you. They way you feel about OH is how I feel about TX.

We use to live there, now we live just north in Conroe by the Lake!

Prices are sky rocketing if you haven't already bought? Are you part of the new Exxon compound or something else?

I'm noticing. 1200 for a single bedroom apartment WAT.

Took a job with a small energy supplier named MP2. Right there in the Woodlands.

Are there less expensive places around there that aren't going to kill me with costs and drive time?

I'm noticing. 1200 for a single bedroom apartment WAT.

Took a job with a small energy supplier named MP2. Right there in the Woodlands.

Are there less expensive places around there that aren't going to kill me with costs and drive time?

Lots of options, just depends what you want/need?

There is a lot of construction around so it really depends what area you want to be?

Just north has great places on 242 but they are building a new overpass and another Hospital is going in that area. A couple nice places on 1488 which is the next exit north of 242 before Conroe. I don't prefer south but there are some nice places if you want. Once the Grand Pkwy is finished by the Exxon compound things will be a LOT better south of The Woodlands, however toll roads will add up. At least you have no state tax in Texas so you'll feel like you have more money (until you buy a house).

Check into renting a house, LOTS of good deals on rentals. You could get 3bd rm house for that price a while back, not sure about now. Look on www.HAR.com/ ;)