Bexley Marine - Poor Customer Service

MrMeanGreen

I called this morning and spoke to Bexley Marine on the phone (I find out later it was the owner; see below). I explained I needed a replacement tach and could they do timing on our engine. He said he had a tach and yes, could perform the service. Even their website states they are OMC Certified Service.

We arrive, he has to order a tach, although ours is pretty run-of-the-mill, and said they couldn't work on the boat. His mechanic said he could, just no out-drive work. So the "owner" grabs a catalog, and tries to sell me a replacement tach for $95 and it has to be ordered, they don't keep them in stock. I politely declined and stated I would just order one from the internet. He slams the catalog shut, turns his back on me, and walks off. I asked about scheduling the boat for service, he tells me "the internet" could fix it, and I went the fuck off on him.

I'm sorry if he was offended that I could find the same (yes, the same on Amazon) tach for half of what he was asking. But denying me service because I wouldn't pay his outlandish retail on a common part? I told him where to go and how to do it. The tach wasn't even a part of the service I was requesting and he was scheduling three weeks out.

I'll stick with Blue Water Marine, they've always treated me well. I called them, and they not only have tachs in stock, but their labor rates are substantially less and they can get me in next week.