Garage flooring

Chief8one

I just recently purchased my first home and one of my first projects is going to be flooring for my garage. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the epoxy style flooring or the snap together plastic style flooring? I would be doing this project most likely all by myself.

Personal experiences welcomed. Pictures would be great.

I put the Qwikrete epoxy with the flakes on my garage floor. Very easy to do. I powerwashed the floor, let dry. Then I visually cut the garage floor into four pieces. I painted the left top, applied flakes. Painted the bottom left side, applied flakes. Then did the same process for the right side. Let the whole garage floor dry, then applied the clear coat. Looked awesome when done. It's flaked off in areas over the years, but still looks good.

Started with:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7777

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7779

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7778

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7780

Used:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-2-gal-Silver-Gray-Semi-Gloss-Professional-Floor-Coating-Kit-2-Pack-203373/100201460?N=5yc1vZbd13Z1z10lif

Only reason I tried it was because HD had it on sale for 50% off. It took 1.5 gallons to do the garage.

Starting off with a clean new pad like me saved a bunch of the hasssle and worry. Cleaning is key, I cleaned it with acetone, then a etch thAt came in the kit, then powerwashed it and dried over night before I started. Work is small 2'x2' square it dries pretty quick, I applied the flake pretty late and ended up losing a bunch of it but it turned out better then I thought. It has held up good so far no peeling or anything.

I echo what the two above me have said. My scenario is just like suppliciums but I got the flakes down quicker so their hanging tough. I love how it looks and I have four years on it now with very minimal peeling. What peeling there is has been caused by turning the tires before you start moving.

Two things when doing this. One, don’t have any leftover, lay it as thick as possible, if you can judge it apply extra where your tires will be(I wish I would have done this). Two, buy the biggest roller you can find. I was able to barrow one of those 2 foot long rollers and it made easy work of applying it.

• 1 month later...

1) Go to Sunbelt Rental and get the single disc floor grunder (use truck, its heavy)

2) Grind your floor for an afternoon so its flat and smooth like a pool deck

3) Get a dewalt diamond grinder bit from lowes; its yellow, 6inch diameter and expensive (can sell you mine if you want)

4) Use that bit with your angle grinder to clean up the edges around everythnig

5) Go to Creative Paints on Huntley and get their Corranado 2 part floor epoxy

6) Mix and roll the epoxy accordingly

I would not use anything bought from a retail store for this project; other than tools for prep and application.

DO NOT WALK ON THE FLOOR UNTILL 24 HOURS HAS PASSED AFTER APPLICATION.

Even though you can it will leave tiny footmarks in the clear coat and will see them in certain light/angled.

Feel free to add color chips or have the epoxy color mixed up. I also added a clear coat top with an additional clear grit for more texture.

You should have ~$400 in materials/rental, 4hrs on prep, and 4hrs on application

Start the project WAY early so you can let the concrete dry -completely- from the wet grinding before applying the epoxy.

7773421736_44a03db831_z.jpg

At the top of the photo and the base of the wall, see the black/dark marks?

That's the stuff the floor grinder would not remove and I had to zip it off by hand with the angle grinder.

Compare that to an above photo which I think was just power/chemical washing.

I would never do this job without grinding the floor first. Its such as pain to redo later I want it to last long as possible. I was amazed how the floor looked after the grinding and what it was able to remove ... looked like a smooth pool deck really ...

7709976762_66973f81c9.jpg

good info, thanks.

I always figured that, but wasn't sure where else to go.

how much to hire you. ;)

I wouldn't do it ever again :)

After doing all this I understand people who quoted $2K+ and 10 year warranty. Its honestly worth that if they do all this prep.

I had fun on the project though and really do enjoy the floor.

Get your floor right and go put in a baller lift ....

7974679654_c07a69ddcf.jpg

Maybe not baller ...but a lift non-the-less ...

very nice. thanks for the pics.

FML I am realizing I have over 900 sq ft of garage to do. :cry:

Go on Garage Journal and look at people doing ceramic tile. Seems to be better than epoxy unless you plan on welding in your garage or dropping very heavy pointy objects.

I did this in college for "Columbus Garage Floor Coatings". I believe it's ~$5.50 a square foot now. Was $4/sq ft 5 years ago, but naturally prices go up.

Jackson hit the nail on the head. Those etching products work, but NOTHING like a diamond grinder. It will take your floor down to completely bare concrete, and as he said, use an angle grinder with a diamond back too.

Applying is easy, it's all in the prep work. We did some sweet ass garages and I was able to do my own as an 'employee benefit' for around $500 back in the day. I still own the house as a rental and it looks almost as good as the day I installed it.

I am going to do the garage at my new house next year.